New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Media playback in Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chomper

chomper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9

Hello,

What is the easiest way to play MKV video files on a Mac? Can this be done without using VLC media player?

Also, what is the easiest way to play FLAC, WV, OGG audio on a Mac?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Perian and Flip4Mac are the two QT plugins I use and they pretty much play everything.

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components
Windows Media player for Mac - Flip4Mac WMV Overview - Telestream

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

PLEX will do all and more, and is by far my favorite.
Yes, it's a little resource heavy, but it needs to be to cope with MKV.
It's free, and not used by enough people IMO.
Works nicely with the Apple remote too, and has an app to go with it.

Plex - A Complete Media Solution

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chomper

Mac Specs: MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Perian and Flip4Mac are the two QT plugins I use and they pretty much play everything.

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components
Windows Media player for Mac - Flip4Mac WMV Overview - Telestream
I have them installed on my Mac but they can't play mkv files. They can play everything else.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper View Post
I have them installed on my Mac but they can't play mkv files. They can play everything else.
Give this a read. MKV format, How to play MKV files on Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

So ignoring Plex then? Sheesh.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I realize that much, but you did ask for how to play all those other files as well.

QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Just curious as to why you wont install vlc? it will play your mkv files no problem
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21˝" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

This may be a stupid query (Mac noob, still haven't gotten my Mac yet), but reading this seems to imply to me that there are stand-alone Mac players that play video without using iTunes?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against iTunes, it makes managing my iPod easy as snot, but I don't want to play my vidoes through it.

May I also assume that, if I have a stand-alone player that my Mac will remember this and if I download a video, it will "always play with" this player?

21˝" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
This may be a stupid query (Mac noob, still haven't gotten my Mac yet), but reading this seems to imply to me that there are stand-alone Mac players that play video without using iTunes?
There's Quicktime built in already that's standalone or you can download VLC.

QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21˝" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

You know what? It seems like every bad Mac phobia or horror story that kept me from switching YEARS AGO is turning out to be bunk. I simply cannot wait to get my Mac! Thank you so much.

21˝" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
chomper

Anyway, is there a way to play FLAC, WV, OGG audio files other than playing it in VLC? Some tweak/workaround for iTunes?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Anyway, is there a way to play FLAC, WV, OGG audio files other than playing it in VLC? Some tweak/workaround for iTunes?
What's wrong with VLC?

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Quote:
Yes, PLEX. *slaps head in disbelief*

Or if you are ignoring the video aspect, Cog, which is light on usage and free too.
Honestly sometimes I don't know why I bother......

QUOTE Thanks
chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Yes, PLEX. *slaps head in disbelief*

Or if you are ignoring the video aspect, Cog, which is light on usage and free too.
Honestly sometimes I don't know why I bother......
OK, I'll give PLEX a try. I hated VLC in Windows and don't want to bring it to my Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine... Whats going to happen? | Switcher: 1 Week Later »