New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Question about the way 'Finder' works

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rivergull

Rivergull is on a distinguished road

Why does Finder keep showing multiples of stuff? It shows multiples of photos that are in my iPhoto library...and even two copies of my 2009 tax pdf. I'm not sure if this means the files are different in some way?? Wishing Finder would show just ONE of anything.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

That's just an iphoto thing. It has a weird way of storing your files. The rest of the OS is not like this. And for the most part this iphoto issue is not worth worrying about. Just keep on using iphoto as you have been and things will be ok.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

You could go into Finder>Preferences and change what shows up in the sidebar of Finder. You could for a quick fix click the little Triangle and collapse it all.

What you are looking at too, if you are looking in the 'All' Images, Documents and Movies are only *aliases*. They only take up 4-5kb so if its space you are worried about no need to . . . . Basically a shortcut

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Rivergull

Thanks to 'the8thark' and 'TattooedMac' !

I will stop worrying about the over abundance of lookalikes. ;o)
I guess I just wondered if there were variations in content between the multiples shown within Finder... especially in regard to 'tweeked photos' (as I would want to use the latest and greatest if adjusted) and in regard to documents (words may have been changed).

So then would it be better to not use Finder to open anything? and preferably access my stuff more directly via my iPhoto library...and my documents folder?

-rivergull
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

If all your pics are in iPhoto access them that way, but other stuff like documents are easily accessible via Finder.
If you start to suff around with Pics via finder you can severely stuff up your Photo library, which you dont want to do, but all other bits you want to access is done easy via Finder

HTH

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.10.1; iPad Mini iOS 8.1.2;iPhone 4s iOS 8.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivergull View Post
Thanks to 'the8thark' and 'TattooedMac' !

I will stop worrying about the over abundance of lookalikes. ;o)
I guess I just wondered if there were variations in content between the multiples shown within Finder... especially in regard to 'tweeked photos' (as I would want to use the latest and greatest if adjusted) and in regard to documents (words may have been changed).

So then would it be better to not use Finder to open anything? and preferably access my stuff more directly via my iPhoto library...and my documents folder?

-rivergull
Have you tried using the 'Favorites' tool in Finder? If you right click on a folder that you use often you can create shortcuts, known as 'aliases'. You can then drag them to 'Favorites' and, if you want, rename them, e.g. removing the word alias. You can then go to Preferences and make Finder open with Favorites as 'TattoedMac' suggests. Thanks for that; I didn't know about it.
QUOTE Thanks
Rivergull

To everyone in this thread. I'm going to try to put your information to good use. I still think iPhoto does some weird things. My new digital camera came with Lightroom... and I'm hoping I like it better than iPhoto.
QUOTE Thanks
IIsGII

IIsGII has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]

What exactly is iPhoto even used for? Just for organizing photos? New Mac user, purchased mine last month. -_-
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Yes.
QUOTE Thanks
Rivergull

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIsGII View Post
What exactly is iPhoto even used for? Just for organizing photos? New Mac user, purchased mine last month. -_-
YES...it's a photo organizer with tools to enhance the image. Just upload your digitals via USB on iMac...goes straight to iPhoto. It's great, but has some quirky file folder issues. Overall, I LOVE my iMac...goodbye PC....and welcome onboard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Authorization | email »