New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Considering Switching...Inuput Please?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pumas927

Pumas927 is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

Currently, I am a PC user, and ever since my parents bought an iMac and since I have used them here at college in labs, I have become addicted.

I am looking at getting my first Mac soon, and am very excited. However, I would just like some input on my idea. My budget its limited (joy of being a college student ), and I am right now looking at an iBook. I know they are five years and older, but that doesn't bother me too much right now. I would be using it mainly for web browsing, email, and creating word documents. Typical college stuff, nothing too involved.

I am considering purchasing a refurb from Amazon. my budget is right around $300-$400 max. From what I have been reading, it is pretty easy to buy and upgrade the RAM and Hard Drive GB capacity yourself. So, I am thinking of purchasing an iBook with a small amount of RAM and HD space to save some money. (I'll link the two I am looking at now).

I'd just like to know if this seems like a good avenue to go down, as far as getting my first Mac. Any other suggestions or places to look for Macs would be appreciated too. If this is more appropriate for another forum I apologize, as I thought because I am soon switching over, it was fine to post here. Thank you all for any help you are able to provide!

#1) Amazon.com: Apple iBook G4, 1.33 GHz, 1GB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive, Internal Combo Drive, 56k Modem: Electronics

#2) Amazon.com: Used and New: Apple Ibook G4 1 Ghz 512mb 30gb Dvd/cdrw 12" LCD with Airport Extreme Os X 10.5.5 Leopard Office 2004 Garageband Itunes Imovie Hd Free 512mb Flash Drive!

-Grant
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

To be honest, I think it would be a horrible idea to get an iBook. Not only is it super old, but it's a PowerPC machine so no software is available for it any longer and all new software is written for Intel machines.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I will have to agree with schweb, getting a PPC machine has alot more drawbacks and downsides than waiting longer and saving for a newer machine.
Have a look on ebay, always some good bargains for you there...
macbook items - Get great deals on Computers Networking, Electronics items on eBay.com!

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Have to agree with both of the above. If you can, try to keep away fronm the PPC versions of Macs. As with you, if you absolutely *cant* then i would look at the one in the 2nd link.
But be aware as posted above that there is little to no support for the PPC Mac anymore. It is recommended to upgrade to a Intel if you can, but if 3-400 is all you can afford as a first look into the world of Mac and for what you want to do on it, should be OK.

On a side note, if you decide to go with it, trying to connect to the Learning Institution wireless might be a bit hard. Dont quote me but your iBook if you get it might only support WEP as security and the wireless you will connect too will defiantly have WAP/WAP2 . . . . . Some more research might be in order.

I only say this bc i received a old iMac and i cant connect to my home network bc it doesnt support WAP/WAP2. It only supports WEP Something else to think about

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

Do you need for it to be a laptop? You can get a 1st gen Mac mini for less than $200. If you already have a monitor, then you won't need much else. This leaves some room for memory upgrades and other peripherals.

Maybe I'm just biased towards the mini, though...
QUOTE Thanks
Pumas927

Pumas927 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your advice everyone!

It has really picked my brain, and gave me alot to think about that I didn't consider initially. Looking back considering all of that, I think that it would be best to just bite it and wait save up the money. Although, the idea of the mini is something new to think about...but then again I would need to purchase a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Ideally though, I'd prefer a laptop, just for portability reasons related to being a student. I think I will give some thought to the mini though.

Does anyone here have any advice or major concerns they'd like to share about possibly going the mini route?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

No concerns about a Mini. I have one, but I'm not a student. Portability is important, especially if you're "back home" on occasional weekends. But go with an Intel processor.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

While the 1.42GHz iBook G4 -- if you can find one for sale that is still working -- is a perfectly suitable computer for the needs you have outlined, I have to join with the consensus: in the year 2011, you really REALLY need an Intel Mac of some kind.

That said, first- or second-revision MacBooks (like my beloved 2007 Blackbook) shouldn't cost you much more than $400 in the open market if you keep a sharp eye out, so you won't have to stretch that budget too far. Early intel Mac Minis may be even cheaper (though I agree with you about portables). My Blackbook does everything I need it to do, which is WAY beyond what you mentioned you want to do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder Options | PC user, interested in switching »