New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New user who needs an active usb cable for mid 2010 i7 macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

I'm a first time Mac user, and a professional photographer.

I just purchased an i7 15" mackbook pro. 10.6

My problem. I need to run 30 feet of usb cable to tether my Canon 1DsMkIII.

I have a cable setup that has worked flawlessly on many different pc's for years. It will not work on the mac.

I use a tripp lite active usb extension and Apple support tells me it will not work with 10.6. Works fine with 10.55 but they also tell me I can't downgrade to 10.55 because of firmware.

I have a week left to be able to return this now 2000 buck papaerweight if I can't find an active usb cable that will work.

Please don't suggest I use a shorter cable because I NEED the 30 feet or the computer is useless to me. I have a number of 700 buck w7 machines that work perfectly, but I really wanted to go with the macbook.

So if anyone has a suggestion it would be great.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

I'm a first time Mac user, and a professional photographer.

I just purchased an i7 15" mackbook pro. 10.6

My problem. I need to run 30 feet of usb cable to tether my Canon 1DsMkIII.

I have a cable setup that has worked flawlessly on many different pc's for years. It will not work on the mac.

I use a tripp lite active usb extension and Apple support tells me it will not work with 10.6. Works fine with 10.55 but they also tell me I can't downgrade to 10.55 because of firmware.

I have a week left to be able to return this now 2000 buck paperweight if I can't find an active usb cable that will work.

Please don't suggest I use a shorter cable because I NEED the 30 feet or the computer is useless to me. I have a number of 700 buck w7 machines that work perfectly, but I really wanted to go with the macbook.

So if anyone has a suggestion it would be great.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Please don't crosspost or ask your question multiple times in different places.

The Community Guidelines state:

Quote:
Post appropriately.
Search first, post things in the right place, use descriptive thread titles, and don't crosspost. Those things will help get you more timely responses and help keep our community nice and tidy.
Thanks for understanding!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocusinc View Post
In a nutshell...this is the problem right here. When Apple releases new computers...they always run on the latest version of the Mac OS...AND...that also means that the latest OS (when these new computer models are released) is also the "minimum" or oldest version of the OS they can use.

Since the latest version of the Mac OS is 10.6.6...this is also the "oldest" version the newest MacBook Pros can use. This is why you cannot downgrade to OS 10.5 so you can use your equipment.

What I would suggest is two things:

1. Return the new MacBook Pro you purchased...and buy an older (used) MacBook Pro that can run OS 10.5 (so you can use your equipment).

2. Find out if there is a newer version of the "tripp lite active usb extension" you use that is compatible with Mac OS 10.6.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

If you truly need that length of active cable and Apple says it won't work with Snow Leopard, then you have no other choice but to take it back.

Support is correct about downgrading to Leopard (10.5.X) because of the different firmware. Perhaps the next version of OS X (due out sometime this Summer) which is 10.7 will support your active cable. If it does, you can consider purchasing a MBP again.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If you truly need that length of active cable and Apple says it won't work with Snow Leopard, then you have no other choice but to take it back.

Support is correct about downgrading to Leopard (10.5.X) because of the different firmware. Perhaps the next version of OS X (due out sometime this Summer) which is 10.7 will support your active cable. If it does, you can consider purchasing a MBP again.

Thanks everyone. I guess I just stay a productive windows guy. Not really what I had in mind but if it won't work I have little choice.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I find it mind-boggling that this Tripp Lite thing hasn't been updated to 10.6, which came out quite some time back. Mac is the default computer platform for serious photographers and for them not to support it is just remarkably dumb. Even the most die-hard Windows PS plug-in guys have seen the light.

Oh well. You do have the option of buying a used/refurbished Mac that can run 10.5 and do it that way, but really a nasty letter to the tripp light people would be my first order of business ...
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Could you not do a Windows partition on this Mac and run just the Tripp Lite program under Windows? That way you could have access to all the other great programs on Mac, but still have access to the Tripp Lite program with the setup you already use.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I find it almost impossible to believe that as many photogs as use Macs, there do not exist cables that will work with 10.6 notebooks /cameras to extend the USB beyond the 5 meter limit.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Is this the same cable?
U042-036 - 36-ft. High-Speed USB2.0 A/B Active Device Cable (A Male to B Male)
Says nothing about the system requirements other than "Computer with USB A interface, peripheral with USB B interface."

Anyway, my first port of call would be contacting them also.
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Larry H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

I'm trying to understand this situation. Are there different kinds of USB? Isn't USB 2.0 the same no mater what computer it is on?

The companies specs for this cable are as follows:

Features
Connect a computer to a printer or other USB device up to 36 ft. away High-Speed USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 compatible Active repeater maintains 480Mbps signal integrity USB "A" to USB "B" connections
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/WIN7 and MAC compatible Cable length: 36 ft. (11m) Weight: 1 lb. Repeater Pod dimension: 30cm W x 15cm H x 87cm L Lifetime warranty

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Ah, so there's the solution: use a different brand. Done.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post

And what brand would that be?

I need a secure answer. I'm 6 days away from not being able to return and so far I can find no answer as to WHICH cable.

I'm still looking.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Quote:
Quote:
I find it mind-boggling that this Tripp Lite thing hasn't been updated to 10.6, which came out quite some time back. Mac is the default computer platform for serious photographers and for them not to support it is just remarkably dumb. Even the most die-hard Windows PS plug-in guys have seen the light.

Oh well. You do have the option of buying a used/refurbished Mac that can run 10.5 and do it that way, but really a nasty letter to the tripp light people would be my first order of business ...
Well I've been a "serious" digital photographer doing advertising work on digital and PC since '91. Mac is not the only solution. That said I decided to give it a try and its foing bust.

I'm not interested in a used Mac. I can safely stay with win7 laptops for location work. I'll not be going Mac for my desktop workstations.

If the Mac solution is impossible I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Craig Lamson Photo
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
I'm trying to understand this situation. Are there different kinds of USB? Isn't USB 2.0 the same no mater what computer it is on?

The companies specs for this cable are as follows:

Features
Connect a computer to a printer or other USB device up to 36 ft. away High-Speed USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 compatible Active repeater maintains 480Mbps signal integrity USB "A" to USB "B" connections
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/WIN7 and MAC compatible Cable length: 36 ft. (11m) Weight: 1 lb. Repeater Pod dimension: 30cm W x 15cm H x 87cm L Lifetime warranty

Larry H
Printer cable..wrong usb ends. And no mention of 10.6
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cracked. | Just joined, quick question! »