Advice for newbie on a MacBook Pro
    Hi gang,

I feel lucky to be here with the Mac gurus. It's time to trade in my 2006 MB with the scratched screen for a new MBP, and I'd love some advice from y'all.

In our home studio we're running ProTools and a bunch of plug-ins, and our old iMac is taking the hits.

So this new laptop will probably replace both my MB for my daily online work and pinch-hit in the studio as well.

For the ProTools stuff, we need a beefier machine, so I need to juggle a bit.

I've got limited $ but my main question is the diff. between the high-end 13-incher and the low-end 15-incher.

Mainly, I need to know if the 15-incher's i7 quad core is all that (for my purposes of ProTools and music editing -- also maybe some miminal graphics/vid work in the future on Photoshop & Final Cut Pro). Can't afford anything higher but I could stretch to that one if it would make a big diff. over the dual core.

That said, I'd bump the 6 up to 8 on my own, but is it worth any of the other bells and whistles? And any other suggs. for this setup? Pretty simple, with an 003 rack outboard and a coupla drives for backup (I'll be looking at the LaCie TB when it drops this summer, for sure -- we've been having some transfer issues on the iMac ProTools files as well).

Big thanks, all, for any advice you may care to offer.

In Denial
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Not a guru, but if I was looking at doing any graphics intensive work I would go for the 15 in MBP and upgrade RAM later when/if I needed it.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Moved. Does not belong in "Rumors....."

Reading, UK
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    good to see some people still using Pro Tools over the beefed-up-garageband that is logic.

the new 13" i5 processor will be perfect for your pro tools sessions. but hey, if you have the money, get the 15", cause you miss the screen real estate (crouching down on a 3 hour session is awful.)

if you are a portable musician, you may want to think about the pro tools 9 update: it has native support, meaning you dont have to carry your stupid mbox around with you all the time just to open the app.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Victoria, BC
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    As I often do, I'd recommend that you look to updating your ProTools to the latest version to match your new hardware. There were some big changes in the most recent version. Of course, you may have done this already, but I'm just sayin'.

Thread Information