New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hi Guys

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

Anyone here know what this is? It's on my desktop and it doesn't open when I click on it. I don't see it in my apps either.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hey Montana . . .. .

Go into System Preferences and see if you have WMV sitting down the bottom of the Pref Window.
If it is just trash it. When you click on it it should install into system prefernces. If its not there trash it anyways and dl it again and install it properly

HTH

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As tattooed says check System Preferences bottom line and if it appears there, trash the desktop icon. If not double click and let it install as it could well be thew .dmg file expanded but yet to be installed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Hey MontanaMac, you found your iSight camera and you look pretty happy about it... nice one mate
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Man, you guys are the best. I did find it in there, trashed it and the one on desk top, then downloaded it and installed it properly. I don't know why I didn't get it installed the first time. I went back in after I installed it, and I see it's in the bottom of system preferences again, along with Perian. How can I make sure I got Perian installed correctly?
Yes 6string, been playing with the camera. Man is that handy. I love it. Was trying to explain this camera case to a friend and he couldn't picture what I was trying to tell him about it, so I snapped a pic and sent. He got it and understood what I was trying to explain to him on the zippers.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

If you can see perian in system preferences there, it's installed.
You will see if you click on perian, you get this:
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

OK 6string, it looks exactly like you ss. Thanks a bunch. These apps work automatically when I play a video.....right?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

They should. You could also try VLC, which will play any other random little codecs that Perian and Flip4Mac don't.

P.S. The more specific you make your thread titles the better.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

I'll download that and try it. Thanks friend. Thanks for the tip on the titles also, I'll do that
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

I'm getting better.....I found the solution why my apps showing up, at least I think I did. It wasn't checked here.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice for newbie on a MacBook Pro | similar to dashboard on Win? »