New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Ical Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

Every time I click on my Ical, I get these messages that the server doesn't recognize my signature . Anyone know what I have to do to fix this problem? Seems like I'm constantly verifying my signature to use everything on my Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I've never seen that message before in my life and I use iCal every day. Do you have iCal hooked up to sync with a gmail account or something? If it's saying it's a problem with some kind of server, it might be set to get information from a remote source. From what I can see online it looks to be a common issue with those using Gmail. Under iCal Preferences, go to Accounts and delete any accounts you may have listed there that may be trying to connect to a server (if you didn't mean to enable this function). I did also find a possible solution here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....9396&tstart=60

But instead of trawling the internet for answers, I would call AppleCare. You have 90 free days of phone support so here's an instance where you might use it. Untangling server connections is not my forte.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Also, I would check with online tech support if it's too late to purchase the one on one help.
Apple Retail Store - One to One

I'm seriously thinking that it would be of value to you if available, as there seem to be quite a few nagging issues that you are having, that if you had a big list in front of you, you could nut out with them.
If I were local, I would more than happily look at your Mac, and I am sure I'd be able to help you get it set up, and have you running it smoothly, as it is so much easier to see whats going on when you have the computer and the user in front of you.
Don't get me wrong though, I and many others are happy to get you through any issues that pop up if we can, but I really think that the one on one would be great.

Personally, if I were you, and the one on one is not an option, I'd be performing a clean install, so it was like new as it came out of the box.
Letting it connect wirelessly as it will as part of the set up.
Then I would go through all the tutorials Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics which are listed under the video on the left.
From there, I would then set up Mail, and anything else that you want.
I would not attempt to personalise the Mac with any 3rd party features, and just get comfortable with OS X (Snow Leopard).
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

6 string, I think he did just do a clean install.

Is that right, Montana?

If even after a clean install you are running into issues and if you are near an Apple Store, set up an appointment for a One to One session. Or if that's an extra cost you want to avoid, head over to the Genius Bar with your individual issues. They can help you out for free, even when your Mac is out of AppleCare.

Also, did you do all your software updates after reinstalling?

Edit:
Upon further investigation, it sounds like iCal is trying to sync with a Gmail calendar. Did you mean to enable this? If not, follow my instructions in my last post. If you want iCal to sync with your Gmail calendars, there are a myriad of possible solutions. AppleCare might be better able to help you.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

As usual, awesome advice guys. I used your advice, found out that my signature was wrong on my mac to sign into my gmail account, changed it and it seems to have stopped with the messages now. I have a few more days to decide on the one on one from Apple, just didn't want to part with another $300.00 after spending a couple grand. I did do the install already, OS X and Applications. I had an Apple Tech on the line yesterday, he had me do an update, and it seemed to fix most of my problems.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

[QUOTE=Oneironaut;1191991]6 string, I think he did just do a clean install.

Is that right, Montana?

If even after a clean install you are running into issues and if you are near an Apple Store, set up an appointment for a One to One session. Or if that's an extra cost you want to avoid, head over to the Genius Bar with your individual issues. They can help you out for free, even when your Mac is out of AppleCare.

Also, did you do all your software updates after reinstalling?

I did do updates, and thanks for that advice for the free one on one. Great advice.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Well, let's get our terms straight. One to One is a service you must pay for. The Genius Bar will help you troubleshoot problems for free. If you don't have to do the One to One that would be preferable.

Glad you are learning to troubleshoot things and that you were able to figure out your iCal problem.

PLEASE be sure to watch some of those tutorials and be sure to browse through the text ones if you have any other specific problems.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stop unarchive | putting my name in the tool bar at the top by clock »