New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Screensaver stopped working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andymac2210

andymac2210 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.

I noticed when I left my computer today and went away for half an hour when I got back the screensaver wasn't on.

So I changed the time from 15 minutes to 3, let it sit for 5 minutes, nothing.

Restarted and done the same and it appears to be working now.
Anyone know what could be the cause of this, perhaps a program i had open stopping the screensaver from coming on?

One of those annoying niggling bugs that I just need to find out why it happened so I can stop it from happening again.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

If it happens a second time, then you probably need to try to figure out why, unless it's already next year.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Look to see what's running in the background possibly preventing the screensaver from activating. Open up your Activity Monitor.app and check.
QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Look to see what's running in the background possibly preventing the screensaver from activating. Open up your Activity Monitor.app and check.
Well I know what's running anyway, but knowing what's running doesn't really provide me with any clue as to what's stopping the screensaver from coming on.

The computer screen doesn't 'sleep' either after 15 minutes.

It's happening again and I have no idea what's causing it.

'it just works'.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

is this one of Apple's screensaver's or a Flash based? Have you tried selecting another ?
QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

Yes, it's one of apples and i've tried others.
QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

Oh and the computer won't sleep either, even if i set computer sleep to 1 minute then leave it, just never sleeps by itself.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well I know what's running anyway, but knowing what's running doesn't really provide me with any clue as to what's stopping the screensaver from coming on.

The computer screen doesn't 'sleep' either after 15 minutes.
The Activity Monitor.app not only shows what programs are running but also shows what processes are going on. There are processes that can prevent the machine from sleeping or a screensaver from activating.

You can also start trouble shooting by trying first to reset your SMC and PRAM/NVRAM. Don't be anxious to "toss off" a suggestion before you try it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I love how people tend to blame Apple for problems when, in fact, they've already identified that it is their own error (program they left running) that is causing the issue. Yes, that's Apple's fault.

Andymac, you've already answered your own question: you're leaving a program open that won't let the mac go to sleep. The answer is "stop doing that."

If you've come to us from Windows, remember that closing a program's window does NOT automatically quit the program as it does on Windows. If you want the screen saver to run, you don't have to quit EVERY program, but you DO need to quit any program that interacts with the internet, or engages in any time of automatic activity (like auto-saving) -- otherwise, the computer will keep getting updated, and thus the screensaver and/or sleep never has a chance to come or (or stay on).

I'm in the habit of quitting every program as soon as I'm done with it, because even if I find I need it again it will take upwards of an entire SECOND for it to re-launch. This habit, which I picked up back in the olden days when RAM was an issue, has kept me completely free of screensaver- or sleep-related problems over the decades.
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

It's possible that something might have gotten corrupted. Try running repair permissions and or verify disks and see if that helps.. Check all your startup programs also as was mentioned programs that update themselves or even if you have uninstalled something.. Way back I was running a game in parallels and every time it seemed it would do it's timed update, the mac and parallels would freeze. I checked for running programs and crash logs and found that a demo of Drive genius I had installed and then uninstalled was still trying to load...

Good luck

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

@Aqua:

You do realize that you're responding to a thread that's well over a year old?
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

Oops LOL Now I do

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Synching to ITunes | Databases / iPads / Servers - Please help!! »