New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Multiple Delete Pics

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

OK, here we go.
With windows, I could multiple delete pics by selecting a pic, then go down the list / hold shift / select and it would highlight the whole series. I guess to make it short, how do I dispose of the 500 duplicate images in my pics folder? I wonder why it did that to start with.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Ok Montana, what have you gone and done now? lol

Ok, so part 1 of 2.
Quote:
With windows, I could multiple delete pics by selecting a pic, then go down the list / hold shift / select and it would highlight the whole series.
With OS X, you can still click an item, scroll down, hold shift and select another item which will highlight everything inbetween, and then contral + click (right click), etc.

You can also select multiple individual items by holding command and clicking.

How you ended up with duplicates I don't know, as I don't know what you have been doing or how you have been doing it.

Are they in your iPhoto library or in your pictures folder?
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Yes, that's how I did it in Windows, but it doesn't do that for me in HD/all photos. It just changes from the first pic being highlighted to the second pic highlighted. None in between. I'm a mess.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

First screen shot, I clicked on the top file, and held shift while clicking on the last file.

Second screenshot, I clicked on the first file, and then held command while I clicked on every other file.

Is this not working for you?
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

The only difference is I was in the icon view instead of the list. The pics are in HD / all images.

Ok, that works when I change to the list view. The only problem is, I can't tell what the pic is in the list view. I guess I'll just have to look for duplicate names.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

All images in the finder sidebar is more of a history item!
DON'T TRY DELETING ANYTHING IN THERE!

Are there duplicates in your user picture folder?
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

I deleted all 3,155 items in my images
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

OOOOOps, I didn't see your post till after I deleted them. Also, there were hundreds and hundreds of things that I didn't put there, kinda like spam.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Another thought....

Go to Finder in the menu bar>Preferences>Sidebar and under Search, uncheck "all images", and while you are at it, uncheck "all movies" and "all documents."

These are smart search folders, that don't take up any space on your heard drive, but work in a similar fashion to spotlight searches.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

What you will have deleted is system images and files which are crucial to the normal operation of OS X, and many of the applications in it.

I hope you have a time machine backup from before you started deleting things willy nilly.
If you do, I would restore your system from the time machine backup now.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Montana, the All Images sidebar item will show you just that... ALL images. Not just the ones you've imported, but any images that are used by OSX. If you've deleted every picture in there, you'll probably have to reinstall OSX, unless you had the foresight to connect a backup drive to use with Time Machine.

If you want to just see the pictures you've imported and organized, use the Pictures folder within your home folder.

Also, the shift-click way of selecting files should work in icon view as well.
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

Oh no, looks like I really screwed up. Can I get them back from trash?
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

How hard is it to reinstall using the os x disc?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

As long as you didn't empty it yet. Just select all the items, right-click on one of them and select "Put Back". If that option isn't available, you can still salvage the images, but since you don't know where they all belong, I can't think of what else you can do except reinstall OSX, unless someone else has another idea.

Many times, Command-Z will undo the last operation you performed. If you haven't done too many other things since this happened, you may be able to simply undo the move to the trash. You could try making the Finder the active application and pressing Command-Z.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

It's not that hard to reinstall, you just have to re-create all your information again. Your home folder, your Airport password, etc. First see if you can get the photos back some other way. If that doesn't work, we'll help you through the installation procedure. It's pretty straightforward.

However, I suggest that you get an external backup drive to use with Time Machine. Backing up is absolutely crucial, and it's a shame not enough people think to do it. It can solve so many problems. In the future, if you need to reinstall OSX for some reason, or if your computer is stolen or damaged, you can easily restore your computer (or a totally new one) to exactly the state it was in before, with all your documents, settings and preferences in tact.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LONG TIME Windows user switched to Apple | Macbook or Macbook Pro? »