New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

LONG TIME Windows user switched to Apple

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

So let me start off by saying that I am a 24 year old Graduate student who really does not do a lot of design work on the computer. I mainly use the computer for my music, movies, the odd video editing, email, etc. (I guess I am just an average computer user).

That might be a main reason why it took me so long to move to Apple, as I had always heard "Mac's are for photoshop and video editing". I moved into my new place and started my graduate studies, and noticed my roommate has a MBP 13", and all I had was a Lenovo Thinkpad from school (although this computer is very good internally, i7 chip, quad core 500 GB 6 GB ram).

One day I asked if I could use his MBP just to check it out because of my natural curiosity and I instantly LOVED this thing. The ease of everything, everything is right there and so easy to use; not to mention the beautiful construction of it. Needless to say, I was blown away. So I started looking into my needs and decided on the iMac 27" (i3, 3.2 Ghz, 1TB, upgraded to 12GB by me, because apple is a rip off).

Not only was I a windows user, but I have been a devoted Blackberry guy for the past 5-6 years; and that soon changed as well. I had never really used an iPhone, although my best friend has always tried to get me to check it out, but I decided to check it out; I figured I just spent 2 grand on a desktop, I might as well give it a shot. So I hooked up my friend's iPhone 3gs to my iMac, and yet again I was blown away. From the apps, to syncing, to the touch screen, I quickly realized the besides BBM, the Blackberry was FAR inadequate to the iPhone. 2 Days later I was the owner of a brand new iPhone 4.

I know most people don't even care about this kind of thing, but I figured this is a place to people who have switched and some people might be in the same boat debating on whether or not to switch.
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Uh oh! You've caught the bug! Welcome to the forums, sir! Thanks for sharing your story there. Stop by here for loads of help, information, and friendly conversation!

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

yes! I have definitely caught the bug.

I have not used my Windows based laptop (aside from school work on SPSS, which my school supplies) since I got the iMac.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Welcome to the world of Mac/Apple.
That's an impressive iMac you have and you were very wise to upgrade the RAM yourself. Although, 12GB is overkill if you're an "average computer user", as you put it. But at least it's ready for anything you throw at it now.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Might I ask where you got that RAM from by the way? Just curious is all.

Facebook|Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

I completely agree with the overkill of 12Gb, but I had 4 GB in there and my buddy who works at Best Buy got me a KILLER deal on a 2 x 4GB kit. It came out to be about 10$ more than just a simple 4GB.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Well isn't that a score! Connections get you places, and cheap RAM!

Facebook|Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

Yes, definitely, my intention was to upgrade to 8GB but I don't tend to say no to good deals!

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentharbour View Post
I completely agree with the overkill of 12Gb, but I had 4 GB in there and my buddy who works at Best Buy got me a KILLER deal on a 2 x 4GB kit. It came out to be about 10$ more than just a simple 4GB.
Nicely done. Can't argue with a screamin' deal like that.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Nicely done. Can't argue with a screamin' deal like that.
That depends on whether it was $10 more than 4GB from somewhere like OWC, or $10 more than it was from Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

Yes it does, but I would never be caught paying Apple prices for upgrades like that!

I paid 105.99+ tax (Canadian) for the two 4 GB.

From what I can see, thats cheaper than OWC

QUOTE Thanks
mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

So, you played with a Mac and bought one... played with an iPhone and bought one...

Unless you have $600+ burning a hole in your pocket, you better keep your hands off an iPad!

I was a long-time Windows user, too... actually, I go back to the MS-DOS days. I bought an iPod years ago because they seemed like the best looking and best thought out MP3 player. Then I lost it on a plane (oops) and bought an iPod video. Then I started seeing the hype behind the iPad before it came out and I KNEW that it would "just work" for me. I bought the 3G the day it came out. 3rd in line at Best Buy. Words cannot express how much I love the iPad. I'm watching Comcast Xfinity on-demand on it right now, in fact...

... So, when I finally got fed up with my spyware-ridden Windows notebook, I knew I had to go with an Apple. I bought the Mac Mini, hooked it up to my 46" Toshiba, and just sit back with my wireless keyboard (bought it for the iPad) and magic mouse and LOVE LIFE!

By the way, I bought it with the 2 gigs of ram and bought 8 gigs for $109 and installed it myself.
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
... So, when I finally got fed up with my spyware-ridden Windows notebook, I knew I had to go with an Apple. I bought the Mac Mini, hooked it up to my 46" Toshiba, and just sit back with my wireless keyboard (bought it for the iPad) and magic mouse and LOVE LIFE!
You have no idea how jealous of you I am! Do you get to sit on the couch and everything?!?!

Facebook|Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

No, i've played with the iPad but I don't really like it as much. Seems like a glorified iPhone 4, to me it feels really similar in power.

QUOTE Thanks
mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

Quote:
No, i've played with the iPad but I don't really like it as much. Seems like a glorified iPhone 4, to me it feels really similar in power.
I can't argue with that... since it has the same processor as the iPhone. But the format is what matters. The screen size is more "right" for web browsing and movie watching. I can also remotely access my Mac (or my PC at work) with the iPad. Yeah, I could do that with my iPhone4, but the screen is too small to make it worthwhile.

It is especially nice since I have the unlimited data plan. I was stuck in a traffic jam the other day and I was watching Chappelle's Show while everyone else was hating life. I use it at work all the time. I can bring u p our company's web site and hand the iPad to a customer rather than taking them back to my desk.

The iPad handles email, web, basic gaming, music, video, etc. I have absolutely no need for my Windows notebook now. It is MUCH easier to take with me. The battery lasts for days... the notebook lasts about an hour. It never heats up... You can't sit my notebook in your lap if you are wearing shorts or you'll end up in the burn ward. As the man says... it "just works".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« gifs in signatures | Multiple Delete Pics »