New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

putting my name in the tool bar at the top by clock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rhino609

rhino609 is on a distinguished road

A newbie question here When I stole my first Mac book pro 13" 2.44 Hz 2 GB ram from a local pawn shop for $400 American dollars it had all the previous owners info in it because the pawn shop barley new how to turn it on much less how to wipe the drive. It had the owners name in the tool bar between the battery charged and the day of the week. he was the administer ( basically sxxxt pxxxxxxk's) computer. I am don't recall which OS was on it but the computer was less than a year old I 'm thinking 10.6.0, after finding the only way to format and get his info off the computer was to have original disc I called him and he took my information and said he would send it to me instead 45 minutes later the law was at my house to take it. I didn't give it up that easy and long story short his girl friend was able to pawn it because she because she was set up on it & had the password, problem was he let her barrow it and never reported it stolen. 4 months later they sold it to me legal eagle. The only thing I know is he was a professor at a university and it appears they set it and gave it to him. I bought a snow leopard OS disc and started new and could not figure out how to put that back, the pro's at our local BB don't know either. thanks for reading this rant. any one have an idea?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

System Preferences -->Accounts-->Click Account Name-->Click Login Options-->Show Fast User Switching menu as: Name

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
rhino609

rhino609 is on a distinguished road

That is awesome I have asked many people about that and no answer. it worked thanks, it's not a big deal but I think it is cool. I had to buy a second MB Pro after this one because I let my wife use it and could never use it. Needless to say we went mac and will never go back!!!
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino609 View Post
That is awesome I have asked many people about that and no answer. it worked thanks, it's not a big deal but I think it is cool. I had to buy a second MB Pro after this one because I let my wife use it and could never use it. Needless to say we went mac and will never go back!!!
Congrats on the new Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

That's great. How could I get the black analog clock in my dash board to stay on the desk top all the time?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMac View Post
That's great. How could I get the black analog clock in my dash board to stay on the desk top all the time?
I really doubt that is what you want as any of the Dashboard widgets you move to the desktop do not become a part of the desktop, but are floating widgets that will remain on top of any other window you have open. This can become quite annoying if you use applications in full screen or like to have multiple apps open side by side as you'll be having to move the widget around to see what's behind it.

However, if you'd like to try it, open up Dashboard, grab the widget and drag it a little bit, do not let go of it, press the Dashboard shortcut key, then release the widget. This will place it on the Desktop.

To get it back into the Dashboard, grab and drag the widget a little, do not let go of it, press the Dashboard shortcut, release the widget, then press the shortcut again.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino609 View Post
A newbie question here When I stole my first Mac book pro 13" 2.44 Hz 2 GB ram from a local pawn shop for $400 American dollars it had all the previous owners info in it because the pawn shop barley new how to turn it on much less how to wipe the drive. It had the owners name in the tool bar between the battery charged and the day of the week. he was the administer ( basically sxxxt pxxxxxxk's) computer. I am don't recall which OS was on it but the computer was less than a year old I 'm thinking 10.6.0, after finding the only way to format and get his info off the computer was to have original disc I called him and he took my information and said he would send it to me instead 45 minutes later the law was at my house to take it. I didn't give it up that easy and long story short his girl friend was able to pawn it because she because she was set up on it & had the password, problem was he let her barrow it and never reported it stolen. 4 months later they sold it to me legal eagle. The only thing I know is he was a professor at a university and it appears they set it and gave it to him. I bought a snow leopard OS disc and started new and could not figure out how to put that back, the pro's at our local BB don't know either. thanks for reading this rant. any one have an idea?
You stole the computer and you're bragging about it here???

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
You stole the computer and you're bragging about it here???
You need to read the original post again. He is referring to "stole" as the great price he got it for at the local pawn shop.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
MontanaMac

MontanaMac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I really doubt that is what you want as any of the Dashboard widgets you move to the desktop do not become a part of the desktop, but are floating widgets that will remain on top of any other window you have open. This can become quite annoying if you use applications in full screen or like to have multiple apps open side by side as you'll be having to move the widget around to see what's behind it.

However, if you'd like to try it, open up Dashboard, grab the widget and drag it a little bit, do not let go of it, press the Dashboard shortcut key, then release the widget. This will place it on the Desktop.

To get it back into the Dashboard, grab and drag the widget a little, do not let go of it, press the Dashboard shortcut, release the widget, then press the shortcut again.
Tried this, doesn't work at least on my Mac
QUOTE Thanks
thekilierdonut

thekilierdonut is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5GHz i5 MBP, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 330m/16GB iPhone 4 in a brick sized otterbox.

Ahhh, thanks for this info! I take my computer with me everywhere and having my name up in the upper right corner all the time makes me feel more secure about it somehow :p
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekilierdonut View Post
Ahhh, thanks for this info! I take my computer with me everywhere and having my name up in the upper right corner all the time makes me feel more secure about it somehow :p
Don't forget, you can have your screensaver set as computer name....
ie thekilierdonut's Macbook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ical Help | Need Help Backup Solution »