New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I change default programmes?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Hi all,
I find that a programme called VLC will play all or most of my video clips downloaded from Youtube or wherever but my Mac Mini insists that another video playing software programme is the default application for showing videos.
How can I make it so VLC is the Daddy?
Cheers,
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Find a quicktime file and right click (control click).
Select get info and where is says 'open with' change that to VLC and then click change all.
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Here's how it goes!

-Ctrl+click on the file that you'd like to open
-Click "Get Info"
-Underneath the "Open with:" section, you will see the default application
-Change the default application to whatever you'd like
-If you'd like ALL files of that specific type (.mkv, for example) to open with the program you've selected, click the "Change All..." option.

Hopefully this does the trick, and if not come back an' let us all know!

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

Quote:
Find a quicktime file and right click (control click).
Select get info and where is says 'open with' change that to VLC and then click change all.
You, sir, have used a good picture to go along with the steps.

Facebook|Twitter
If someone is being helpful, use the reputation system on your left!
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Thanks guys,
All sorted now.
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBpro suddenly running slow. | How to delete a program... »