New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to delete a program...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

I'm new to Macs, obviosly... so go easy on me.

I installed the software for my networked backup drive, hoping that it would work with TimeMachine, but it won't. I ended up buying a firewire drive, and it works perfectly with TM. Now I want to remove all the software for the external drive. It auto loads its software to the dock, and I can also access it through the applications... but there is no "uninstall" file like you would expect on a PC.

How do I get rid of it? Is it as simple as dragging it to the recycle bin? I don't want to leave behind annoying fragments. Maybe I'm too used to how a PC works...
QUOTE Thanks
mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

I guess I could have done a search... it looks like I just drag it to the trash bin... and maybe use an app to make sure it is totally deleted.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Before dragging the app to the trash, look to see if it has an uninstaller either in the Applications Folder or on the company's website. Some apps have an uninstaller, some do not. If no uninstaller available, then you can drag to the trash and possibly run an app like appzapper to be 100% sure.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Keep in mind also that even the one or two files that may be left behind are miniscule and do not usually affect system performance. That said, I do use AppCleaner just because I don't like clutter.
QUOTE Thanks
Moss

Moss is a jewel in the roughMoss is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM

And to be incredibly redundant with this AppCleaner, here's a quick link to the page. Works like a charm.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
the recycle bin
The what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
the trash bin
Trash what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
the trash
There you go! Although I'd write it as the Trash.

All these votes for App Cleaner are fine, but no third party uninstall program is perfect. The best way to eliminate everything associated with an app is to find it all and drag everything to the Trash. The trick is finding it all. App Cleaner and others of that ilk may not be able to do it either.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I change default programmes? | Quick Look question »