Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1

    Bigtony's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 22, 2011
    Location
    East Brunswick,NJ
    Posts
    2
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 10.6.6
    Should I return my MBP?
    Ok, so I just got my MBP 13" a little over a week ago, the 11th to be exact. Now that I've been cruising this forum, I'm reading that there's rumors that a new MBP is on it's way for right around the same price. My question is...Should I return my MBP and wait for the newer one to come out? Is it going to be that much better? What kind of specs are we lookin at here? If you could just point me into the direction of the improvements that would be great! Thanks in advance.
    a Recent convert to the Mac Life.

  2. #2

    Oneironaut's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2009
    Posts
    1,339
    Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    No one knows anything for certain until the announcement is made. Rumor suggest an announcement coming this week or next, but it's just a rumor. Details about what will be updated are even more vague. Apple is always very tightlipped about this stuff. You'll just have to wait, but even if the announcement is made this week, it may be awhile until they're sold. I would say the chances are good there will be a refresh announced very very soon, so return it if you want and see what happens.

  3. #3

    Bigtony's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 22, 2011
    Location
    East Brunswick,NJ
    Posts
    2
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 10.6.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
    No one knows anything for certain until the announcement is made. Rumor suggest an announcement coming this week or next, but it's just a rumor. Details about what will be updated are even more vague. Apple is always very tightlipped about this stuff. You'll just have to wait, but even if the announcement is made this week, it may be awhile until they're sold. I would say the chances are good there will be a refresh announced very very soon, so return it if you want and see what happens.
    I really want to go and return it, but then again, I don't want to be without my MBP for too long.
    a Recent convert to the Mac Life.

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,824
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    There's no guarantee that new MBP's:

    - will be released soon
    - will have features worth waiting for
    - will be less expensive
    - that there will be no inventory shortages if new models are more popular than expected

    But given that:

    - the MBP line is due for an update
    - that the "rumor mill" has that update coming very soon
    - and this is the time of the year that Apple usually does announce new models/products

    If you will not incur any sort of financial loss returning the MBP...if it were me...I would probably return it...and see what happens in the next 1-2 weeks.

    Of course if you absolutely need a MBP now...then buying now made/makes a lot of sense.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    ^^^^^^ Great post there Nick, but have seen you post that ohh too often

    And this isnt a dig at the OP but who wants to start a book on how many threads in the next week (bc the new MBP will be out by then) about should i wait or should i buy, or do i return my 2 week old Mac for the new one lol

    Can see it a mile away haahaha
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  6. #6

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    ^^^^^^ Great post there Nick, but have seen you post that ohh too often

    And this isnt a dig at the OP but who wants to start a book on how many threads in the next week (bc the new MBP will be out by then) about should i wait or should i buy, or do i return my 2 week old Mac for the new one lol

    Can see it a mile away haahaha
    I sense these types of threads popping for this whole week. >_<"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  7. #7

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    I sense these types of threads popping for this whole week. >_<"
    Yep for sure. And as i went back into the Get New page, what was at the top of the listing lol

    Im still cracking up seeing that. Mind you the OP of that thread you posted in was looking for a little more .......
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    I sense these types of threads popping for this whole week. >_<"
    yep.... and I'm steering clear

  9. #9

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    yep.... and I'm steering clear

    What?? Why?? Your type of thread i thought
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    What?? Why?? Your type of thread i thought
    Must be getting grumpy and impatient in my old age

  11. #11

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,824
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    ^^^^^^ Great post there Nick, but have seen you post that ohh too often
    Regarding hardware updates...I usually say..."Who knows...only Apple knows!"

    This time around it seems very likely very soon...so I thought that I would say...yeah return it & see what happens.

    - Nick

    p.s. Of course I know how everyone feels about these sort of threads (I feel the same). Don't forget the other threads we will see (after every new model announcement)...

    "I just bought an (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc.) just 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. weeks ago...can I return it & get the new one???"
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  12. #12

    Doug b's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2008
    Location
    Forest Hills, NYC
    Posts
    3,343
    Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    I would. But that's just me.

  13. #13

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,892
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    I confess I have a little problem with the idea of returning something I chose to buy that works perfectly.

    Noone held a gun to my head (usually) and made me buy it, and if I now return it the item is used and results in a loss to the seller. I know a certain amount of returns are built into the operating budget, and I have zero problems with returning something that has problems, or doesn't meet expectations based on advertising.

    I'm not saying I haven't done exactly this before, or won't in the future, but it isn't something I would do without a lot of second guessing.
    Honestly, I had this happen when I bought my Mac Mini (though I knew better, I neglected to check the life cycle on when an update was expected) 2 mos after I got it the new version came out with HDMI port.

    Anyway, rambling post, but if it was me, I would keep the MBP and chalk it up to experience if the new version does come out later and is so much better.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2010
    Posts
    171
    Specs:
    mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
    Absolutely YES, get it back quick

  15. #15

    Doug b's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2008
    Location
    Forest Hills, NYC
    Posts
    3,343
    Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    I confess I have a little problem with the idea of returning something I chose to buy that works perfectly.

    Noone held a gun to my head (usually) and made me buy it, and if I now return it the item is used and results in a loss to the seller. I know a certain amount of returns are built into the operating budget, and I have zero problems with returning something that has problems, or doesn't meet expectations based on advertising.

    I'm not saying I haven't done exactly this before, or won't in the future, but it isn't something I would do without a lot of second guessing.
    Honestly, I had this happen when I bought my Mac Mini (though I knew better, I neglected to check the life cycle on when an update was expected) 2 mos after I got it the new version came out with HDMI port.

    Anyway, rambling post, but if it was me, I would keep the MBP and chalk it up to experience if the new version does come out later and is so much better.
    Most of these kinds of returns are sold as refurbs, so I have zero problem with it. Refurbs are just as good as any new product and come with the same warranty and option to get Apple Care. And at a reduced price, no one is really losing out in the end.

    Doug

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Should I return my MBP?
    By OzMasters in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
  2. MBP Refund/Return Future Shop
    By connor989 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM
  3. Return my brand new 17" MBP
    By bcubed in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 04:24 PM
  4. Can I still Return my MBP?
    By frosty in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 12:27 AM
  5. I Got My Tax Return!!!! (new Mbp!!!)
    By nukemm in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •