New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should I return my MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bigtony

Bigtony is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 10.6.6

Ok, so I just got my MBP 13" a little over a week ago, the 11th to be exact. Now that I've been cruising this forum, I'm reading that there's rumors that a new MBP is on it's way for right around the same price. My question is...Should I return my MBP and wait for the newer one to come out? Is it going to be that much better? What kind of specs are we lookin at here? If you could just point me into the direction of the improvements that would be great! Thanks in advance.

a Recent convert to the Mac Life.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

No one knows anything for certain until the announcement is made. Rumor suggest an announcement coming this week or next, but it's just a rumor. Details about what will be updated are even more vague. Apple is always very tightlipped about this stuff. You'll just have to wait, but even if the announcement is made this week, it may be awhile until they're sold. I would say the chances are good there will be a refresh announced very very soon, so return it if you want and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
Bigtony

Bigtony is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 10.6.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
No one knows anything for certain until the announcement is made. Rumor suggest an announcement coming this week or next, but it's just a rumor. Details about what will be updated are even more vague. Apple is always very tightlipped about this stuff. You'll just have to wait, but even if the announcement is made this week, it may be awhile until they're sold. I would say the chances are good there will be a refresh announced very very soon, so return it if you want and see what happens.
I really want to go and return it, but then again, I don't want to be without my MBP for too long.

a Recent convert to the Mac Life.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

There's no guarantee that new MBP's:

- will be released soon
- will have features worth waiting for
- will be less expensive
- that there will be no inventory shortages if new models are more popular than expected

But given that:

- the MBP line is due for an update
- that the "rumor mill" has that update coming very soon
- and this is the time of the year that Apple usually does announce new models/products

If you will not incur any sort of financial loss returning the MBP...if it were me...I would probably return it...and see what happens in the next 1-2 weeks.

Of course if you absolutely need a MBP now...then buying now made/makes a lot of sense.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

^^^^^^ Great post there Nick, but have seen you post that ohh too often

And this isnt a dig at the OP but who wants to start a book on how many threads in the next week (bc the new MBP will be out by then) about should i wait or should i buy, or do i return my 2 week old Mac for the new one lol

Can see it a mile away haahaha

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post

And this isnt a dig at the OP but who wants to start a book on how many threads in the next week (bc the new MBP will be out by then) about should i wait or should i buy, or do i return my 2 week old Mac for the new one lol

Can see it a mile away haahaha
I sense these types of threads popping for this whole week. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Yep for sure. And as i went back into the Get New page, what was at the top of the listing lol

Im still cracking up seeing that. Mind you the OP of that thread you posted in was looking for a little more .......

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
yep.... and I'm steering clear
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
yep.... and I'm steering clear

What?? Why?? Your type of thread i thought

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
What?? Why?? Your type of thread i thought
Must be getting grumpy and impatient in my old age
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Regarding hardware updates...I usually say..."Who knows...only Apple knows!"

This time around it seems very likely very soon...so I thought that I would say...yeah return it & see what happens.

- Nick

p.s. Of course I know how everyone feels about these sort of threads (I feel the same). Don't forget the other threads we will see (after every new model announcement)...

"I just bought an (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc.) just 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. weeks ago...can I return it & get the new one???"

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I would. But that's just me.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I confess I have a little problem with the idea of returning something I chose to buy that works perfectly.

Noone held a gun to my head (usually) and made me buy it, and if I now return it the item is used and results in a loss to the seller. I know a certain amount of returns are built into the operating budget, and I have zero problems with returning something that has problems, or doesn't meet expectations based on advertising.

I'm not saying I haven't done exactly this before, or won't in the future, but it isn't something I would do without a lot of second guessing.
Honestly, I had this happen when I bought my Mac Mini (though I knew better, I neglected to check the life cycle on when an update was expected) 2 mos after I got it the new version came out with HDMI port.

Anyway, rambling post, but if it was me, I would keep the MBP and chalk it up to experience if the new version does come out later and is so much better.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

Absolutely YES, get it back quick
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I confess I have a little problem with the idea of returning something I chose to buy that works perfectly.

Noone held a gun to my head (usually) and made me buy it, and if I now return it the item is used and results in a loss to the seller. I know a certain amount of returns are built into the operating budget, and I have zero problems with returning something that has problems, or doesn't meet expectations based on advertising.

I'm not saying I haven't done exactly this before, or won't in the future, but it isn't something I would do without a lot of second guessing.
Honestly, I had this happen when I bought my Mac Mini (though I knew better, I neglected to check the life cycle on when an update was expected) 2 mos after I got it the new version came out with HDMI port.

Anyway, rambling post, but if it was me, I would keep the MBP and chalk it up to experience if the new version does come out later and is so much better.
Most of these kinds of returns are sold as refurbs, so I have zero problem with it. Refurbs are just as good as any new product and come with the same warranty and option to get Apple Care. And at a reduced price, no one is really losing out in the end.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Woe Is Me | gifs in signatures »