New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A simple one

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pothypine

pothypine is on a distinguished road

Howdy,

Just received a macbook pro after having OJ spilled on my old macbook of 3 years. Did some things on that machine that I don't quite remember how I did, as they were a one time occurrence.

I had my hard drive icon on the desk top with a picture from my collection. Well, I dragged the MAC Hardrive icon from the Finder window (on this new machine) from "devices" to the desktop and got that cool puff of smoke. So, how do I get that back to the finder window? How do I get it onto the desktop? and how did I add my own picture?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hi and welcome to M-F pothypine.

Go into finder then preferences and in the general tab click and make sure you Hard Disk is selected to show on your desktop, then into sidebar and make sure it is selected to show in side bar.
Now not sure about your own picture ? You might have changed it using Candybar. If you are talking about the HD icon ?? Or you rightclick on it get info then find the picture you want, copy it then goto the info window for your HD then click the icon in the top left (should be folder) then to menu bar and edit>paste then you should have a new icon.

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

Thanks so much. Getting the icon back was now problem. Followed directions with the photo bit, and all went well until the paste part. Pasted, looked like it 'took', but the icon on the desktop shows the "JPEG" preview image. It's fine, just not the pic I wanted. thoughts?

dj
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothypine View Post
thoughts?

dj
Reboot ??

Edit : Just had another thought that you have to make the picture you want to use a .icns extension. If you have photoshop you might be able to do it that way. Maybe a more switched on member ??
Or you could surf the free icon site or Deviant Art and find some cool looking icons.
I recommend downloading CandyBar as well. This makes changing ANY icon simple and can be fun, as its quick bc you can store all your cool found icons in there . . . .

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothypine View Post

I had my hard drive icon on the desk top with a picture from my collection. Well, I dragged the MAC Hardrive icon from the Finder window (on this new machine) from "devices" to the desktop and got that cool puff of smoke.
Yeah, don't do that. The same thing will happen to icons from the Dock at the bottom of the screen. It's easy to drag them back, but a pain if you really don't want them to be "poofed".
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Pasting a copied image into the Get Window pop up is not always the best way to change icons, especially system icons. I would recommend LiteIcon which has little boxes for every kind of device, folder, and location that you just drag icons to. Interfacelife.com is a good place to go for replacement icons.
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

Is there a way to get the original icon to return? Currently showing the 'jpeg' with the preview icon showing.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I think... highlight, Get Info
Click the icon in that window, hit Delete
The original icon is restored.

Tell me if that was right. If it doesn't work, it shouldn't do any harm to try it.
QUOTE Thanks
pothypine

just got back to this post...I'll give it a shot and see what comes. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't Unmount RAID; Need Advice | Question »