New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

how to force my macbook to output a signal for my TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smachmer

smachmer is on a distinguished road

Hi I have a macbook and the screen is not working at all, I recently bought a VGA adaptor but my TV is not detecting a signal is there anything I can do other than buy a new screen. Please Help thank you
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Please read the following. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
smachmer

smachmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Is the cable that you are using male to male VGA?

I assume you are using Apple's mini display to VGA converter. (does it work in other context? like trying to connect that computer to another display or projector).

Have you ask the TV specifically to try to display the signal that should be coming from the mac? (no auto detect but actually saying, TV try to display from this source). You can always try to contact the TV manufacture if they have any ideas to troubleshoot your display.

Whats the make/model/yr of the tv and yr of the mac?
Yes I am using Apple's mini display to VGA converter. I tried using the vga converter to my Brand New Sharp tv which says its input 4 which just says no signal. I do not how to manually get the display to recognize the mac signal, I also tried it on my HP monitor and it just has a blank screen.
the TV year is Sharp model says 29W and September 2009. Macbook is 2006
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

First connect everything up. Switch on, your screen should be detected and a display appears.

If not, give it a minute to finish starting up then try the F7 key. This swiches between mirror and extended display.

Do you have a friend with a similar macbook that you could try the cable with?

If you're happy the cable is OK and none of the above works, chances are it's not so much the screen that's failed as the graphics card - hence the lack of video from any source.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why get a mac over pc? | Copying files from Read-only dvd? »