New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Copying files from Read-only dvd?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xNicolex8

xNicolex8 is on a distinguished road

Hi

Someone has put some files on a dvd for me but when i'v got to copy them to my laptop it says i can't because i don't have permission

i'v tried the "get info" way but i can't change it through there
i'v tried search and tried doing the mount disk utility way but half way through it says something about input/output error

so no luck so far

Is there anyway i can get these files off the cd??

Thankyouu
Nicole
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You can not change permissions on files that are stored on a DVD or CD as they are locked into read only. (The entire device is read only.) However, you should be able to copy or drag and drop the files to your desktop. There may be something wrong with them - perhaps corruption.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

What kind of files?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Possibly you don't have permission for where you're trying to copy them TO?
QUOTE Thanks
xNicolex8

i'v tried copying them to my desktop/documents, it just says some of the files cannot be copied becuase i don't have permission

i'm on the admin account

its just a file thats got a game in (sims 3) and then theres some videos n stuff

so even though the cd is protected i should really be able to just drag them to my desktop? :S

P.s thanks for everyones replies
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

So pirated software?

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNicolex8 View Post
i'v tried copying them to my desktop/documents, it just says some of the files cannot be copied becuase i don't have permission

i'm on the admin account

its just a file thats got a game in (sims 3) and then theres some videos n stuff

so even though the cd is protected i should really be able to just drag them to my desktop? :S

P.s thanks for everyones replies

this is commonly referred to as "putting your foot in it"

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
xNicolex8

noono

my friend made a backup of some of my games ages ago as i have a habit of not putting them back in the case and loosing them

and i'v got and lost it, but i don't have that computer anymore my cousin has it

iv not put my foot in it lol i can post a picture of the sims case tomorrow if you don't believe me
QUOTE Thanks
xNicolex8

actually only takes a second so heres my lonely case...

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

haha okay. we trust you however its a grey area of the law.

some people are of the belief that you are legally allowed to backup your games, as you paid for them and they are legally yours. fair use and all that

however, bypassing the copy protection is illegal, meaning to get the backup you actually break the law in the process. haha, isnt it all just completely messed up?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
xNicolex8

haha =]

ohhright.. yeah, silly =/

well i guess i should learn to put things back proply in the first place
the amount of games i'v lost you would i'd have learnt by now
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to force my macbook to output a signal for my TV | Mac to PC flashdrive problem »