New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can you Backup without Touching Anything?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

quarkrad

quarkrad is on a distinguished road

My mother is 80 and had a mac mini for about a year. She likes it but things like drag and drop is a bit too far - basically she surfs the net and uses email, just about! I would like to get her some sort of backup via a usb connected HD but from what can make out she is either going to have to 'do' something like launch a program and click on things (too much for her) or have something scheduled like Superduper/Time Machine. My issue is that from what I can make out the Superduper/Time Machine utilities have set schedule like every hour but she is not on her mac that long. It is going to be a pain if she has to use her mac at certain times. I have set her husband up with a Linux machine that backs his environment up when he Power Down so he doesn't have to do a thing. It is all automated. How can I do something similar on the mini mac? Backup either the whole machine (image) or specific user files without mother having to do anything? Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Time machine is your best bet. It will be easy to set-up for you, and it will back up when the mac is on, and will not take long, basically, once set up just leave it alone to back-up whenever the machine is on for an hour or so.

The first Time machine back-up may take longer, but if you set it up that will not be a problem. After the first set-up, you can walk away, confident it will do its thing in the background without anybody's intervention.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Time machine is your best bet. It will be easy to set-up for you, and it will back up when the mac is on, and will not take long, basically, once set up just leave it alone to back-up whenever the machine is on for an hour or so.

The first Time machine back-up may take longer, but if you set it up that will not be a problem. After the first set-up, you can walk away, confident it will do its thing in the background without anybody's intervention.
+! for this. Time Machine is absolutely no hassle.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
quarkrad

Thank you. What I cannot find out is this.... Say we have done the first backup and set the scheduler to backup every hour. Typically she goes on every day, checks mail and does a bit of surfing - probably spending 15, maybe 20 minutes on her mini. She is never on for anything like an hour. Does this mean time machine will never kick in or does it work on the 'real' clock. So to ensure you get backups you have to hope that when you use your mac it happens to coincide with X o'clock otherwise Time Machine is going to kick in. Hence, as per my Linux machine, I was hoping the mac could backup every time she uses her machine without her having to do anything.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Time Machine will do hourly backups by default.
Hourly backups is different than " on the hour "
It might be that TM kicks in after 10 minutes of starting the OS.

You could also leave the Mini running after you are done with it and let it go to sleep after xx minutes.

Give it a go and see how it works out.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It will back up when she turns it on as it would have been longer than an hour since the last backup.

It really is a mindless backup tool requiring nothing from the user once it is set up.

She will not even know it's running unless she looks at the desktop and happens to see the icon sitting there during the backup process, which for what liitle she's doing with it, likely will take about 1 minute.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
quarkrad

Ah.. this sounds exactly what I want. So if Time Machine is set hourly and she goes on once a day it will automatically do a backup because it has been more than an hour since the last backup. Is this how it works? If so my question has been fully answered. One last question - if she does a little surfing and email I guess at worst a few mail messages will saved and perhaps cache increase (is it easy to configure Safari to empty it cache when it closes?) will the Time Machine incremental backup only be the size of the changes - (extremely small in this example)?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

The first backup is the complete one, and subsequent backups are incremental. You could also have her leave the computer on for at least an hour, you never really need to turn your Mac off anyway. There is also an Time Machine icon in the menu bar that animates as it's backing up; you could tell her not to shut down the computer until the icon has stopped moving.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I don't leave my external hard drive Time Machine backup plugged in all the time so I can't tell you how good the automated feature is but doing a manual backup is real easy.

If you notice the automated backups aren't working then just get your mother into the habit of manually backing up before she turns off the computer or is done with it. It's so simple even a 4 year old can do it.

1. Click on Time Machine icon in top right menu bar (looks like an analog clock with a round arrow)

2. Select "Back Up Now" from the drop down menu

3. Wait for the icon to stop spinning and your done (Since your mother doesn't do much on her computer the backup should be very fast. In your situation make sure to leave the external hard drive plugged in all the time and turned on.)

I do believe the automated feature of Time Machine will do what you want but what I have just described is in case it doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
quarkrad

I appreciate your replies - looks like Time Machine is the way to go. As incremental backups are ging to be small is there a way of having a script that will run TM at Power Off?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkrad View Post
I appreciate your replies - looks like Time Machine is the way to go. As incremental backups are ging to be small is there a way of having a script that will run TM at Power Off?
There really is no need of that in the case for which the particular machine you are asking about is to be used that I can see. If the machine is on for 5 minutes and it's been over an hour since the last backup, it will already have run a backup all on it's own.

My machine starts a backup every morning after waking it from sleep after maybe 2-3 minutes - many times the last backup was only minutes before going to sleep the night before.

You're really over thinking this now. This is not some mission critical server that requires up to the second backups. She's surfing the internet and getting email.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Right, plus without power, how can the computer be backed up?
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

There are many scripts, addons etc to add functionality etc to tm. Here is a program (I know there are others out there also, just can't remember them at the moment) TimeMachineScheduler - set the backup interval of Time Machine Keep in mind, depending on what interval you have it set on, TM will start when the computer is started, external drive is attached or TM is turned on and set, so maybe she could start it up, give it a few mins to do it's thing.. Keep in mind, a mac can be left on for days, even weeks unlike MS machines (which tend to have more problems) and therefore when it is woken, it will do the backup it missed overnight or when it was shut down.

“invincible ignorance” is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkrad View Post
Mate, relax .... sit back and don't make this more difficult than it is.
Forget scripting, use the built-in functionality of the OS and give it ago.
Monitor and then evaluate.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

If all she does is surf the web and email, why does she need to backup her HDD?

Seems kind of unnecessary unless her emails aren't stored on some web server.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hooking up a subwoofer and speakers? | Why get a mac over pc? »