New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmont32
General Population

jmont32 is on a distinguished road

hello i am new to mac purchased a macbook pro from a friend and love it the front glass was cracked purchased one thru ebay and attempted to install but their was a screw that was stripped on the mother board so i stopped did not want to crack board but realized i could remove screen without tearing laptop apart began to remove screen but camera stuck to glass and pulled apart does not work now bought new camera and replaced but keep getting there is no camera connected when i try photo booth im not familiar with mac i was a pc user are there drivers to install ? or do i have to remove battery to reset camera ? camera cable seems ok please help the rookie thank you jmont54@cox.net
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It's probably a good idea to look at the step by step instructions for removing the front glass on the display. And at the same time look over the various cables and connections to make sure you have everything in place as it should be.

This link is the place to go. Have your model number on hand.

iFixit: The free repair manual
QUOTE Thanks
jmont32
General Population

jmont32 is on a distinguished road

thx you
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

A bit of punctuation would make your post easier to understand.
[pedantic mode]
Quote:
Hello I am new to mac. (I) purchased a macbook pro from a friend and love it. (However,)the front glass was cracked. (I) purchased one thru ebay and attempted to install but their(there) was a screw that was stripped on the mother board so i(I) stopped (because I) did not want to crack (the) board but realized i(I) could remove (the) screen without tearing (the) laptop apart(. I) began to remove screen but (the) camera stuck to (the)glass and pulled apart (and) does not work now(. So I) bought new camera and replaced (it,) but keep getting there is no camera connected when i(I) try photo booth. im(I'm) not familiar with mac (as I)i was a pc user. (A)are there drivers to install or do i have to remove battery to reset camera ? (The)camera cable seems ok. (P)please help the rookie, thank you.
[/pedantic mode]
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

A *big* thank you to MightyGem for that. I understand this is a casual place and not a gathering of English teachers, but Jiminy Crickets people -- this is a TEXT-BASED medium. Clear, readable, concise text is a MUST to get the right answer quickly.

There are many people here for whom English is not their first language and that's okay, we'll cope -- but the rest of you, SERIOUSLY, when you can't be bothered to attempt even minimal amounts of punctuation, capitalization or spelling, why should WE care enough to try and slog through the mishmash to help?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
A bit of punctuation would make your post easier to understand.
That could even attract an answer! ...none so far.

P.S. You could employ another comma after "Hello".
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

also, instead of just writing "help" you could write something that indicates your problem.....

Mighty Gem, that was really funny

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mighty Gem, that was really funny
Quote:
A *big* thank you to MightyGem for that. I understand this is a casual place and not a gathering of English teachers, but Jiminy Crickets people -- this is a TEXT-BASED medium. Clear, readable, concise text is a MUST to get the right answer quickly.
I disagree. I don't happen to think it's funny nor do I think criticizing someone for their grammar, spelling, punctuation, (or lack of) has any place in these forums.

In case you folks have forgotten what our guidelines say, let me repeat this part for you:

Play nice.

Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

These forums are about helping each other in case you've forgotten.

Thanks for your cooperation.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

That's me with a slapped wrist, then.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I disagree. I don't happen to think it's funny nor do I think criticizing someone for their grammar, spelling, punctuation, (or lack of) has any place in these forums.

In case you folks have forgotten what our guidelines say, let me repeat this part for you:

Play nice.

Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable. Others may not think the way that you think, believe what you believe, know what you know, or see what you see. Always be polite and respectful in your interactions with others.

These forums are about helping each other in case you've forgotten.

Thanks for your cooperation.
I don't see anything in MightyGem's post that is abusive or insulting, or that would violate the guideline you posted. He is providing constructive criticism.

I see nothing to indicate that the original poster is not a fluent English speaker, or is making honest mistakes or typos. It seems that he's merely being lazy, while asking for free help. Which is fine, he's entitled. But the fact is, if you're asking for someone to help you in exchange for nothing at all, it really improves your odds if you can state your problem in a way that doesn't give people a headache.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

okay sorry guys.

as for the actual problem i am guessing that in the process of trying to take the screen off he damaged the isight connection.. and so is trying to replace it with a webcam.
so yes you will need the drivers. if they dont install automatically, usually hardware comes with a CD that has the drivers on it. if that doesnt work you will have to check the website of the manufacturer for Mac OSX drivers.

it could well be that you have bought a product that is PC only unfortunately.

or re reading the post, am i right in saying that you installed a new internal isight camera?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
I don't see anything in MightyGem's post that is abusive or insulting, or that would violate the guideline you posted. He is providing constructive criticism.
I didn't say the post was abusive. And as for providing constructive criticism, that's debatable. I don't see it that way. From our guidelines:

Our community is made up of all kinds of different people, and all of them have the right to feel comfortable.

Would you feel comfortable if someone had critiqued your post in the same way?

Enough said. Let's get on with the business of this forum.

Thanks all.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Where I think the problem comes in is where you feel the need to only comment on someone's grammar instead of actually trying to take a second and actually help them with their question as well. It just doesn't come off as very friendly.

Not saying you shouldn't or can't give feedback on someone's writing style, but at least also take a second to try and help them with their original point as well.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

What about the comfort of those of us who want to help but have to decipher badly written posts. I'm not trying to make anyone feel UNcomfortable, but clear, effective communication is key, especially when it comes to computers and such. If the OP really didn't know what was wrong with his post, I think we ought to tell him so he can start to correct his mistakes, and we can start posting responses.

I'm aghast at some of these basic violations of simple punctuation and spelling. I thought that computers, IMing, and texting would have made better writers of us by now.

Again, not trying to make anyone feel bad, just trying to get them to communicate better so we can communicate back.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
What about the comfort of those of us who want to help but have to decipher badly written posts. I'm not trying to make anyone feel UNcomfortable, but clear, effective communication is key, especially when it comes to computers and such. If the OP really didn't know what was wrong with his post, I think we ought to tell him so he can start to correct his mistakes, and we can start posting responses.

I'm aghast at some of these basic violations of simple punctuation and spelling. I thought that computers, IMing, and texting would have made better writers of us by now.

Again, not trying to make anyone feel bad, just trying to get them to communicate better so we can communicate back.
You must have missed my response. It pretty much answers your question

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hyperlinking .mp4 and .swf files into Word | New Macbook Pro and Old Printer »