New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Why get a mac over pc?

Thread Closed

bigboi972

bigboi972 is on a distinguished road

As of right now i currently have a pc and i love it but I was thinking about getting a mac. I was wondering what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of not only getting a mac but getting one over a pc I also wanted to know are macs good for games such as battlefield 2 or starcraft 2 and can you run windows on a mac thanks i appreciate it and will a mac be better than what I have now here my specs. Just in case it helps what I will be useing my mac for is editing video useing adobe programs such as photoshop and adobe after effects and playing games and making music. http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1834/specs1.jpg
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

yes you can run windows on a mac.

macs are great for video editing and photo editing.

i use my mac for creating music. they are great. industry standard pretty much.

newer macs run games like SC2 well.

advantages: customer support, build quality, OSX, looks, reliability.

disadvantages: price. i would say video gaming, but you can run windows on them, so thats n/a.

you have a decent pc, but the base imac will be almost the same or slightly better.

i think thats every question answered. sorted.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The games you mentioned both run natively on Macs. Macs are the industry standard for photo, audio and video editing.

Advantages: they are much better built than you average PC, last longer, don't get viruses, have fewer overall problems*, far better customer support* and "just work."

*don't take my anecdotal word for it -- check the rankings on Consumer Reports or PC Magazine.

Disadvantages: doesn't come with solitaire.

But seriously, if you understand the difference between VALUE and PRICE, and you understand the difference between ORIGINAL and COPYCAT, then you already understand the advantages of the Mac.
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

To add to what has already been said they don't require near as much maintenance.
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Macs win hands down on looks too!

(You mean people buy them for other reasons??? LOL)

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
That is actually an advantage.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Why get a mac over pc?
Why get a Porsche GT4 over a Toyota MR2?
G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

Mac's are just plain superior to pc any day by far, no viruses no random shut downs, no internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close after you just plucked out 200 letters and are ready to send the email for it to close and loose the whole email so you can start over, no updates have been installed you need to restart your computer now after spending 2 hours doing work and loosing it all
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Actually, solitaire is a now a free download from the Mac App Store...
mcbrew

mcbrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb

I have been a die hard PC guy since I was about 10. I always built my own PCs and did a lot of hard core gaming. I honestly didn't know a lot about Macs. I had gotten used to all of the quirks of a PC with Windows has and overlooked them (just like everyone else). What do I mean by that? Well, nearly every PC I have owned would mysteriously stop doing things the way it used to, and fixing those issues is next to impossible. Nfld instance: DVDs used to auto play. Now they don't. The DVD player that came with the PC used to work. Now I have to use another program. USB memory keys used to automatically open as a window when one was inserted. Now I have to go to My Computer and find it. PC used to have no problem finding my external hard drive. Now I have to unplug, restate Windows, plug it back in, and hope for the best. PC doesn't always defect the printer. PC now crashes when I try to scan something. And we all know how PCs just keep getting slower and slower as they accumulate malware and program fragments. So common, in fact, that there are numerous TV ads offering to help "clean" your PC.

You get the idea. Yeah, I pay my $30 a year for virus protection. Yeah, I bought the full version of registry cleaning software. It helps, but it doesn't eliminate problems.

The last straw was about a month ago when my brother in law unexpectedly passed away and the family wanted all the photos I had of him. My PC wouldn't access my external drive, so I couldn't get to most of them. It also had trouble printing to my wireless printer and spent the better part of an hour installing Windows updates while I was trying to get the job done.

I'm not saying that Macs don't have problems... But they are a lot better than PCs when it comes to these kinds of things. I am very happy with my Mac mini.
G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

those are my thoughts completely. I even bought a new windows 7 laptop about a month ago when i couldn't find a decently priced battery for my tibook.... didn't really want to spend over a $100.00 for a battery for a 11 year old laptop, used the new windows 7 laptop for 2 weeks and had enough of windows so i went and traded it for a g4 ibook 1.2 with 10.5.8 and life hasnt been better so far. Mac's just work don't have to spend hours trying to figure out what the problem is and fixing it to only have it return again! my thoughts are there is no better computer made than apple!
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I have been a die hard PC guy since I was about 10.
This doesn't tell us a whole lot. What if you turn 11 this year! Ha ha!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'd also recommend using the search box at the top of the forum. Almost all the questions you asked have been answered or discussed in depth. You'll find a lot of good information already out there.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I'd also recommend using the search box at the top of the forum. Almost all the questions you asked have been answered or discussed in depth. You'll find a lot of good information already out there.
That's another big plus for macs - you get to use this excellent forum!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Why get a Porsche GT4 over a Toyota MR2?
You mean a tesla roadster over a new Camaro with a built motor and setup suspension?

Macs aren't gaming machines. Other than that, I'd say get whatever you have a prefence for. You can get much of the same big name software on both platforms, so it doesn't matter too much about that. Macs are no longer better than PCs for video, photo, and audio editing, they're just different.

The form factor might work better for you too. I have a huge full sized ATX tower tht barely fits under my desk, if I was using an iMac, I wouldn't have the power, but I'd have a lot more space. But that's the same reason I choose Apple notebooks over wintel notebooks, I like the size and form.

You can also build a really powerful PC for cheap. My gaming computer has a 1.8GB GPU in it that will run most any PC game I've thrown against it at 2560x1600 resolution on a 30" monitor at full settings. I paid only $1,700 for it two years ago. If you're not into tweaking and building your own computers, then this is not really going to be an option though.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog

Thread Closed

« Can you Backup without Touching Anything? | how to force my macbook to output a signal for my TV »