New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

restore mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zman2408

zman2408 is on a distinguished road

I just reformatted and reinstalled everything on my Macbook (I do this about every 6-9 months for poops and giggles) ... I am having an issue with mail. On my back up hard drive I went to User-Library-Mail and dragged that folder onto my macbook. Opened mail and all my folders RSS feeds ect were all right there. But they are all empty... As in the last 6-9 months of emails I had on my hdd are not there... any idea where they would of been stored?

Thanks

My first apple product is this White 2.4 Mac Book I bought on September 25, 2008!
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

What app. did you use to make a backup ?
if it is Time Machine, you can restore mails from that.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman2408 View Post
I just reformatted and reinstalled everything on my Macbook (I do this about every 6-9 months for poops and giggles) ...
How bizarre. Why on earth would somebody do this?? It seems rather nutty to me, to be quite frank. What's more, it sounds like you are doing this by hand -- even weirder!

Still, I guess if you enjoy keeping yourself uselessly occupied ... it's your time to waste ... I'm awfully glad I don't have to do any of that!

Quote:
I am having an issue with mail. On my back up hard drive I went to User-Library-Mail and dragged that folder onto my macbook. Opened mail and all my folders RSS feeds ect were all right there. But they are all empty... As in the last 6-9 months of emails I had on my hdd are not there... any idea where they would of been stored?

Thanks
In a standard configuration all your locally-stored emails would indeed be there (I presume you also copied the Mail Downloads folder too).

I notice you say "the last 6-9 months of emails are missing" and that this is the same period of time you say passed since your previous reformat and install. This leads me to think this problem actually began at that point -- something was changed back then that has caused your email to either not be stored locally or is stored someplace else.

Perhaps if you can recall a particular unique subject line or phrase from one of the lost emails and run a search across the entire backup drive, locating that one will find the other lost emails for you. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
zman2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
How bizarre. Why on earth would somebody do this?? It seems rather nutty to me, to be quite frank. What's more, it sounds like you are doing this by hand -- even weirder!
It's not nutty ... there is a noticeable difference in speed and responsiveness to my macbook when its freshly reformatted vs when its been getting used for a year. Not sure what you mean by doing it by hand ... im not using a magnet making 0's and 1's ... I let time machine do the backups and after I reformat I just drag and drop my aperture library, itunes library, mail folder, and documents folder.

Quote:
Still, I guess if you enjoy keeping yourself uselessly occupied ... it's your time to waste ... I'm awfully glad I don't have to do any of that!
It takes about 10 minutes of my time, if that .... Put in the first disc run thru the menu really quick, go for a run, come back put in disc two go run errands ... transfer files done ...

Quote:
In a standard configuration all your locally-stored emails would indeed be there (I presume you also copied the Mail Downloads folder too).
You sure did post a whole bunch of pretentiousness to basically say you don't know. . .
Just for clarification ... I copied ~user~library~mail folder from my time machine back up and replaced the mail folder on my fresh install of OSX. This restored all of my RSS feeds, all of my Inboxes, all of my "on my mac" folders. Everything is back to how it was. But all of those folders "on my mac" are empty. Where would their contents be in time machine? I also replaced the mail downloads folder. But this folder only contains random .jpg/.gif/.doc/.wmv ect ... no actual msgs

My first apple product is this White 2.4 Mac Book I bought on September 25, 2008!
QUOTE Thanks
zman2408

Ok I got it figured out ... For what ever reason the mailboxes did not automatically populate with the old messages ... so I went to File import mailboxes told it where the files were and they populated... not sure why this was a necesary step ... but thats what it takes!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« menu bar apps | fairly easy question (i think) »