New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

shedding windows... shedding quicken? Good rental property software for mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mamac

mamac is on a distinguished road

So, here I am, excited about my new Mac! And now it's tax time. Going to load TurboTax on my new mac.
So hoping that all goes well...
But I need a replacement for Quicken.
I started using quicken to track my rental property finances because it was already on the windows machine. It really wasn't that great and I didn't have rental property manager or anything, but I'm used to it.
Now I'm reading that quicken is not the software to use for a mac.
I don't really use Quicken to manage my money, I just use it to track all my income and expense for my one little rental property of 10 units. I do update my bank accounts on it, though, but that isn't that crucial (it helps me to see when utilities have been paid for the rental property).
And it would be nice to be able to export to TurboTax (though I never have because the versions of Quicken I've used can't handle Schedule E rental property tax stuff).
So...
short version:
1)Must be good software for a Mac (Quicken is out, apparently)
2) Would like it to be good for rental property
3) Would like it to be able to export to TurboTax
4) Would like to be able to download bank info
5) Not absolutely necessary, but oh it would be nice if it could import from Quicken (I guess some programs do, but 1-4 are more important)
THANK YOU!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

You may want to look at this.

Free Personal Finance Software, Budget Software, Online Money Management and Budget Planner | Mint.com

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Install Windows 7 on your new Mac via Bootcamp and run Quicken from there. It is the program you are familiar with so why change?

If you do not want Windows at all on your Mac, look at a program such as Crossover to run Quicken as a one off program. Also there is a try before you buy with Crossover:-

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

I use Quicken 2007 for Mac and TurboTax. Quicken for Mac is not quite as easy to use as Quicken for Windows, but it's not a total trainwreck. It will still interacts great with TurboTax and that's what it sounds like you need.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Check out:

Rental Property Tracker Plus
Rental Property Tracker Plus - Tenant Landlord Rental Management Software

Landlord Report/Pro
Rental Property Management Software - Landlord Report (Mac/Win)
Rental Property Management Software - Landlord Report Pro (Mac/Win)

TeXtra Property Management
TeXtra - Property Management Software for Windows and Macintosh platforms

If you would be satisfied with a simple Quicken replacement, I recommend that you check out:

MoneyDance
Moneydance® 2010 - Personal Finance Manager for Mac, Windows, and Linux

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Take a look at iBank as well - here's a quote from their home page...

"You'll uncover lots more capabilities in iBank, including robust data export (to programs such as TurboTax), custom check printing, and password protection for your iBank documents. You'll also find a great community of active users at the IGG forums, and if you need us, an enthusiastic support team always willing to help."

No vested interested, but I have just moved from MS Money to iBank and found it great to use.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

I also use iBank, both for our personal finances and my wife's home business Still learning it, but it's a fine product so far I never used Quicken or Turbotax so I can't compare them, but it handles our needs perfectly

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

By my count, there are a surprising 50 personal finance applications for the Macintosh! I'd be happy to send a list of them to anyone who wants it.

But, since we are talking about replacements for Quicken, here are the top six that I keep hearing good things about:

MoneyDance $40
Moneydance® 2010 - Personal Finance Manager for Mac, Windows, and Linux
MoneyDance Mobile (free)
Moneydance for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

iCompta (about $20)
iCompta : personal finance application for Mac OS X
iCompta : personal finance application for Mac OS X
There is a mobile companion version of iCompta for the iPhone/iPad, which syncs with the desktop version. ($5)
iComptaMobile : Personal finance application for iOS
iCompta 2 Personal Finance for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

iBank $60
iBank | Mac finance software, personal money management and small business application for OS X
iBank Mobile $5
iBank Mobile | mobile finance app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch - add transactions, check accounts, sync to iBank 4 for Mac

SEE Finance $30
Scimonoce Software

iFinance $29
Synium - iFinance
iFinance Mobile for iPhone $2
Synium - iFinance Mobile

MoneyWell $50
MoneyWell - Personal Finance Software for Mac and iPhone
MoneyWell for iPhone $10
MoneyWell - Personal Finance Software for iPhone

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« want to get macbook air - but slower than my macbook? | Hard drive problems? »