New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hard drive problems?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jhorra

Jhorra is on a distinguished road

I've noticed two things pop up lately that make me think I might be having hard drive problems. One is that Spotlight can't seem to find anything lately. The other is that Time Machine won't back up anymore, it just stays on Calculating changes. I've even left it running over night, and it never finishes.

After looking online I tried rebooting into safe mode and repairing the disk, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive from the list on the left...then check it's S.M.A.R.T. Status (at the bottom of the window). If a hard drive is going "bad" it will say something like "failing".

You could also boot from an OS install CD/DVD and try repairing the disk from Disk Utility.

Finally...you could also try "repairing disk permissions".

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And further to what Nick has advised, you need to boot from the install DVD as you cannot repair a drive you are booted from in safe or any other mode. Pop the disc in, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime.

Go to Utilities in the Menu Bar, select Disk utility and hit the Repair button.

You do have the system install disc?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

So I'm not able to boot from my install DVD, it just hangs at the apple logo. Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Booting from the disc takes a while to go through the booting process, and does tend to hang on the Apple with the spinning gear for a while.
I've never timed it but it's 1-2 minutes, maybe a little longer.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhorra View Post
So I'm not able to boot from my install DVD, it just hangs at the apple logo. Any other suggestions?
What sort of disk are you trying to boot from:

- Is it the original "gray" DVD that came with the computer when new...or is it a gray disk you "acquired" sometime later?
- what OS version is it?
- Is it a black disk with a big "X" on it?
- Is it a "whitish" disk with a Snow Leopard on it?

...what the heck computer model do you even have? We need this info to help you!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
What sort of disk are you trying to boot from:

- Is it the original "gray" DVD that came with the computer when new...or is it a gray disk you "acquired" sometime later?
- what OS version is it?
- Is it a black disk with a big "X" on it?
- Is it a "whitish" disk with a Snow Leopard on it?

...what the heck computer model do you even have? We need this info to help you!

- Nick
Are your tech savy Mind reading abilities lacking today

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

I lost the original DVD, this is one that Apple Care sent me as a replacement for $15. I have Bootcamp installed, and when I hold down the option button it gives me the two hard drives as boot options, but it doesn't seem to see the disk as bootable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« shedding windows... shedding quicken? Good rental property software for mac? | upgrading eMac to keep up »