New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac updates in the near future?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kromwell

kromwell is on a distinguished road

I am about to buy a 27" i7 iMac with my tax return money, but I was wondering if they have any updates coming in the near future? I would hate to spend all this money and then a week later they come out with some major update to the iMac line.

Anyone have any insight?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

There is always a new model in the future. In saying so, this website might help.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Can't tell you what to do, but... You mentioned worrying about a major update. At best, it will probably be a simple refresh. It's always possible they could surprise everyone and drastically change them, but they could do that at any time. You can wait 6 months, or a year, and they may change little/nothing, or they may change the entire design. There is no way to know, Apple is very good about not leaking such information. My guess is, and from what I've seen most people also seem to think the same way - They might change the processors a little, or some other odds and ends, but if you buy one tomorrow and the refresh happens next week, chances are it's not going to be "light years" advanced over what you bought. Like CrimsonRequiem said, there's always a new model coming. If you wait for the latest, you'll never buy one

Welcome to the forums!

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I was in the same boat. I was thinking of waiting for a better base model of the 27 but both my windows desktop and laptop wend belly up. so I decided on the referb 27"

The way I look at it, My kids will need a new desktop in 3-4 years and think of the upgrades to the platform in that time frame.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

I bought via the Refurbished site and there was an update the following week. The entire laptop line was changed; all aluminum models went "Pro".

It didn't really bother me about the upgrade but Apple refunded me the difference in price from my purchased model with no questions asked. That made the experience all that much better.

I have read that this is possible if your purchase is within 14 days of a price change.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Waiting on the next *significant* update is a fool's errand, basically. Nobody actually knows when a major redesign or update is coming ... there are some trends, and certain products have a regular timetable, but basically unless there's strong EVIDENCE (not rumours) that a model change is on the way shortly, I'd just buy what I need when I need it and not worry about it.
QUOTE Thanks
kromwell

kromwell is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm definitely going to be pulling the trigger on the 27" i7 model.... I just wanted to make sure that nobody has heard of any significant changes that will be happening anytime soon. If something happens in 2-3 months, it won't break my heart. If it is within a month or so... it would bother me a bit.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

You won't be disappointed in it I would be willing to bet there won't be any significant changes this time around. And one of the "rumored" changes (the processor) seems to have been met with troubles from what I read, anyway. So it could even be put off. Or maybe the rumors weren't true at all! You just never can tell You'll be happy with the 27 inch i7, I promise Good luck with your order!

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Here is a nice one

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.93GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lexmark printer installation | MacMall »