New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac's And Video?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

I'm in the market for a new computer and I was just wondering if the new iMacs were capable of handing HD video editing?
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

They are indeed. If you get a lower spec iMac it might be slow, but perfectly capable. I use my iMac for HD video editing both for family movies, as well as movies for my wife's clients. Never has so much as a hiccup.

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Macintosh computers have always been widely used in the graphics & video industries (for years & years & years). So I would think that if Mac's are good enough for the Pros...they should be just fine for the rest of us.

Of course Mac Pros would be the best Mac for video editing...but iMacs for years now have been very powerful as well.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

they are probably one of the best computers for HD editing on a mid range budget.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Walk into any professional video-editing house. Count the Macs.

Nuff said.
There may be several. There may not be any. What would this accomplish, exactly? I'm afraid enough was not said.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I can edit HD video on a MBP 2.8GHz core 2 duo without much trouble - so any of the latest iMacs have much better specs than that. Scrolling through the HD with Premiere CS5 is smooth. I do have 3 drives connected - 1 SSD through the express slot, 1 usb and my internal drive when doing real editing - but I can do quick edits with just the internal drive. (Haven't done anything feature length but 5-10 minute cuts with my full setup, and maybe a quick post to facebook/flickr ~90 seconds with nothing external connected)
QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your help everyone. Your answers have helped a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Not a problem! Best of luck with whatever purchase you make!

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« version 10.3.7 AOL | Pages app issue »