New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Games on Bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Katana24

Katana24 is on a distinguished road

This may not be the correct place for this thread but oh well!

I just recently used Bootcamp to install WindowsXP onto my 15 inch Macbook Pro. Windows runs fine and I even installed Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars; which also worked fine the first time I played it.

But each successive time inserting the C&C disk and clicking play causes the dreaded Windows blue-screen of death to rear its ugly head.
Three things:

1) What are other people's experiences with playing games on Bootcamp (I ask this because I want an up-to-date experience, I googled it and mostly got threads from 2006!)

2) Im using the standard settings for the games but does this mean that the currently running graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M) doesn't cut it? Should I be running the game using the second graphics card - a NVIDIA 9600M GT?

3) Was I a fool to install windows for the sole purpose of gaming? :O

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Is there any reason you opted for Windows XP instead of Windows 7?

Also, what specs does your Macbook Pro have?

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

have you installed the drivers from the disc? i had no problem with XP on bootcamp, and i ran c & c 3 on it.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I've decided to withhold my opinion on question 3.
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

He made that face at the end of the question because he know how we would answer

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Most folks who install Windows on their Mac do it to play games. Granted there are some people who install Windows because a certain application is not available for the Mac, but for the most part, Windows via boot camp is for gaming.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana24 View Post
1) What are other people's experiences with playing games on Bootcamp...
My son wanted to play high-end 3D animated Windows games on his Macintosh. He tried using Parallels, and that met with mixed success. The programs that allow you to run Windows under virtualization (i.e. Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox) don't have a 100% implementation of ActiveX, which is required for some 3D games.

So, instead, he moved to using Bootcamp. Bootcamp fully supports ActiveX and is just about no different than actually having a Windows PC. He runs all of his Windows games on a recent iMac using Windows Vista (which was used because we already owned it), with perfect success and excellent performance.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

I have always played games on Boot Camp with no problems whatsoever. The blue screen of death seems like a hardware problem to me. It happens on my desktop computer and after running some hardware checking tools I discovered that one of the RAM sticks installed was flawed and replacing it did the job for me.

Windows XP is just fine for gaming, no need for Windows 7. If you know what you are doing, you'll not experience any major problems with Windows XP. I know that because I have been running it for years now. I did switch to Windows 7, though, but I am just saying I never experienced major problems with XP.

To answer your second question, I think your graphics card is fine to run games on low-med resolution, depending on the game, of course. My older MacBook Pro with a 8600M GT runs, or to be precise used to run since the graphics card recently died, the latest games on low resolution with no problems whatsoever.

To answer your third question, no you were not a fool to do that. Everyone I know who installs Windows on Boot Camp does it to play games. Most necessary Windows applications can run perfectly fine on a virtual machine while running Mac OS X but people choose Boot Camp in order to game. So in short, that's the main purpose of it to most of us.

Insert your Mac OS X install DVD and run the Apple Hardware Test and check if there are any errors. Here's an article about the Apple Hardware Test: Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I need to end password requirement to print | Windows keyboard on a mac, where the "~" »