New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Booting after Bootcamp

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bishop101

bishop101 can only hope to improve

Once windows is installed do I always have to choose which OS I want when booting. Or does it by default go to the mac OS- only booting Windows when I choose to?

- Do trackpad functions remain the same?
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Once you have bootcamp successfully installed, you can choose which device you want to boot up first. In OS X just go to System Preferences>Startup Disk and choose which you prefer.

Alternatively, you can hold the 'Option' key down at start-up and it will let you choose which Operating System to boot to.

Also, the trackpad "kinda" works the same. I will just say on Windows, the trackpad isn't quite as fluent when it comes to scrolling/zooming.

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
bishop101

Thanks, so someone who wouldn't know better wouldn't even notice MS is on a mac? That's nice.

Can I put a 64 bit OS on a Intel Core Duo 2?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Yes the core 2 is 64 bit.

I also find it amusing that a bishop and a pope are posting in the same thread.
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

I would stick to 32-bit to avoid any problems. Is there any reason that you absoutely just HAVE to have 64-bit?

lol I didn't even notice that! Akward...I believe that makes me his boss? lol

QUOTE Thanks
bishop101

Just wanted to know if the hardware could handle it.
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

Of course it can!

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

64 bit runs fine for me.

i use bootchamp for switching between, its much less of a hassle than choosing after booting. i set osx for default, then when i need windows i hit the icon in the menubar.

Download BootChamp for Mac - Quickly boot into Windows via Boot Camp. MacUpdate.com

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

I use both Mac OS X and Windows every day. Booting in either one after starting up used to be a bit annoying as you have to hold the ALT key and stuff. However, this program really made things much easier.

When you fire up your computer, REFIT will give you options (Mac, Windows, DVD if inserted, etc.) and all you have to do is use your arrows/mouse and choose either one. It's fast, easy, reliable, and FREE. Give it a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

+1 for rEFIt as Tarek suggests. A bit of caution though.... make absolutely sure you first read through the instructions and understand how to make changes to the configuration file.
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post

i use bootchamp for switching between, its much less of a hassle than choosing after booting. i set osx for default, then when i need windows i hit the icon in the menubar.

Download BootChamp for Mac - Quickly boot into Windows via Boot Camp. MacUpdate.com
I just discovered this great little (free) app and it works everytime. Using the various other tricks to boot over to my Windows partition was a 50/50 crap shoot if it would work. This app works and with in seconds I can go from OS X to Win7.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
jeffk

jeffk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1

One small detail to be aware of.... this may or may not affect you but any reboot method that requires you to hold down a specific key while booting will NOT work with the Apple wireless keyboard. You'll have to plug in a USB keyboard for that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which one would you choose? | Loaded question: low-end Mac...or high-end PC? »