New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Flash on the web?? Slow but why?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iFX

All the flash that I view on the web (I use firefox) is so slow on my Powerbook G4, I have the latest model and I do not see a reason as to why flash files don't play at their normal frame rate or why the quality looks slightly low.

Please help guys! I am a designer and I need this! neye:
QUOTE Thanks
Merlinblack

This may be a really stupid suggestion, but is it running on the power adapter or the battery. I know in the past, laptops will stepdown speeds such as processor and RAM to save energy while running on battery.

If you are running it on the battery it may be causing the problem. Again I'm very new to the mac world but it's just a thought.
QUOTE Thanks
Number6

Number6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)

I've noticed the same problem on my mac mini....some (but not all) flash sites seem to "stutter" on both Safari and Firefox.

-----------------
Be Seeing You.
QUOTE Thanks
DylanMcDonald

I've noticed the same thing on my Powerbook G4 (latest model) and it is especially slow when I click over to another window. It almost freezes the flash frame rate.
QUOTE Thanks
i-VTEC

i-VTEC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number6
I've noticed the same problem on my mac mini....some (but not all) flash sites seem to "stutter" on both Safari and Firefox.
On my Mini too...

Very slow on my home page, ClubRSX

Reason?
QUOTE Thanks
iFX

Seems like this is a big problem for macs... isn't this supposed to be a cutting edge computer with a kick *** graphics card? Why is this happening? This never happened to my on my Windows computers.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

bembol, any paticular links on ClubRSX that are slowing down? On there right now on old G3 300Mhz B&W and it's about as snappy there as my P4 2.53Ghz with ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.

IFX, could you list a few offending URL's please so I can do some testing? I have had no problems with slowdown on flash for sure since the last version of Panther. Would like to check some of your URL's out and see what is up.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Unfortunately, flash player for mac running on anything lower than a G5 will run into frame rate problems, not quality, but most definitely frame rate. My friend is a professional action scripter and has complained about this problem for some time.

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I did a lot of testing on a site with at least 3 flash windows all going at the same time. On the old G3 it's a lot slower than my P4 but I would hope so with a G3 300Mhz with ATI 4 Meg Capture card. On my Sawtooth 500Mhz it's a lot better especially with Safari but still not as smooth as the P4 or AMD system but then again 500Mhz G4 with Radeon 7000AGP. Then I tried the mini 1.25Ghz. In Safari 2.0 it's as smooth no matter what as the P4 execpt if I do other stuff but so far it's never completely stopped and stuttered. Even the P4 with Firefox at least if I click to another window shows some slowdown on Anandtech's main page, but when I watch flash I usually do not change windows and do other things as I am watching the window that the flash is in. I wonder what the Mini would do with a faster video card or if it's a CPU speed issue like johnny was talking about. I tried a 1Ghz PIII Copermine with Intel video. It slows down if I click away from that window I would say worse than the Mini does.

Maybe they have Flash for OSX optimized for the G5. I know installing a G4 Optmized version of say Firefox makes a big difference in speed instead of running the stock version on Mozilla's site.
QUOTE Thanks
Number6

Number6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
I know installing a G4 Optmized version of say Firefox makes a big difference in speed instead of running the stock version on Mozilla's site.
Perhaps a dumb new Mac user question, but where might one find such an optimized version of Firefox?

-----------------
Be Seeing You.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number6
Perhaps a dumb new Mac user question, but where might one find such an optimized version of Firefox?
Just search in google for optimized firefox g4 I believe and it should show up. That is how I first found it.

http://homepage.mac.com/ozjason/moz/

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...532&start=1158
QUOTE Thanks
iFX

I will try that suggestion. Thanks for the help so far guys!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem With Outlook Express On Os9 | Thinking about Going Mac »