New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Time Machine choices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FlaBill

FlaBill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 9/3/10 OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Firefox 26,0 iPad, iPod Touch

My iMac 21.5 is 4 months old and I'm trying to choose a backup system. Time Capsule seems pretty expensive for me. External hd's get me a little confused.
Looking for a 2T drive in the $100 range.
Noticed some advertise Mac version. Is this a must?
What are your thoughts?
Bill
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

You can take any portable hard drive and turn it into a Time Machine. It's as simple as choosing your price range, finding one that suits you, and buying it.

I would suggest Iomega, personally, because they are highly reliable. Just do some searching and look for reviews on portable hard drives and choose what you find to be best.

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Time Machine = software that backs up your boot drive.

Time Capsule = a combination hard drive and router sold by Apple to facilitate Time Machine backups. Not mandatory, but nifty if you need it.
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Time Capsule just has the advantage of being over the network so you never have to "attatch" your Macbook to the backup device, it can simply do it over the network.

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBill View Post
Noticed some advertise Mac version. Is this a must?
This usually means that it's been pre-formatted to work with Macs so you don't have to do it yourself. You can easily format the drive if needed so don't pay extra for a "Mac version". The only other possible option that a Mac version might have is Firewire. Windows can use Firewire but it's not as common as on Mac so some people think of Firewire as a Mac feature. Any hard drive can be used on either Windows or Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Haven't set up my Time Machine yet but want too. I have a Seagate external drive I used on my PC to back up and export to my Mac. I want to keep all my old PC files and back up my Mac.

How much space do I need on this external HD for Time Machine back ups?

Thanks

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
Haven't set up my Time Machine yet but want too. I have a Seagate external drive I used on my PC to back up and export to my Mac. I want to keep all my old PC files and back up my Mac.

How much space do I need on this external HD for Time Machine back ups?

Thanks

Tom
I started out with a 500GB Timecapsule and tried to use it to back up my MBP and my wife's MacBook, but had to give up on the idea because of lack of capacity, and frankly speed of wifi backup was too slow.
I have since switched to using individual USB and FireWire Seagate drives with Timemachine and that works pretty well. Both drives are small (a little bigger than an iPhone) and powered by their respective ports so no adaptor required.

As far as size goes, depends on how much of your current drive space you are using, but I wouldn't go smaller than the drive you are trying to back up.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Thanks, I just looked and I have about 170GB left on it. I've also read that I don't need to back up the System files off the Mac which reduces the volume backed up considerably - is that true?

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I would backup everything - system files, documents, applications, etc. You never know when you may need to recover a file from the Time Machine backup to replace a corrupted or missing one on your Mac. And that applies to system files as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« osx | Disk image problem »