New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Newbie ?: Do I reformat my FAT32 External HD to Mac OS Extended (Journalized)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LILBonsaii

LILBonsaii is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 3.2 GHz core i3, 4GB, 1 TB, OS X 10.6.6 |iPhone 3GS 8GB| 2 iPods (touch) 64GB each

Hi All! A few days ago, I decided to take the plunge into the Mac world and ditched my dying PC for my very first Mac!!! Weeeeeee! So now for my question:

I have a WD external HD that was formatted for my PC in FAT32. I did a a good bit of reading before I got my iMac and I know that a lot of places suggested that I copy ALL of the info from my external HD to my iMac, reformat the external HD to max os extended and then copy all of my info back onto my newly formatted HD. In your opinions, is this a good move OR do I just keep my WD external HD in the FAT32 format? My exernal HD consists of pictures, music, my entire iTunes library and documents/spreadsheets. I did get Office for Mac so I can still use all of my docs from my PC. Any help or advice would be great.

Thank Q in advance!!!

LIL Bonsaii
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

I think you pretty much just laid it all out for yourself. Move the files to the mac, reformat the drive to Extended and then move all of the files back.

How big is the hard drive? Depending on the sizes, I might suggest using the external hard drive as a Time Machine for your Mac.

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
LILBonsaii

Mac Specs: iMac 3.2 GHz core i3, 4GB, 1 TB, OS X 10.6.6 |iPhone 3GS 8GB| 2 iPods (touch) 64GB each

ThePope,

I know how to do it, but I just wanted to make sure this is the best thing to do. My external HD is 1TB, but only has a LIL under 400GB on it. I also have another WD external that is 320GB, but that sucker is full.

I saw the time machine thing that keeps popping up, but wasn't sure if it is something I need to do. I guess if I don't use time machine, I'm playing with fire.

LIL Bonsaii
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Either Time Machine or cloning with SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner for sure. Just do a Google for them and how they backup on a weekly basis or whatever you determine.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
LILBonsaii

Thanks all!

LIL Bonsaii
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

FWIW
I have a WD 250GB External HD that I bought when I made the switch, formatted to FAT32 and I never bothered to reformat it. It still works fine with no issues. but that maybe because of my usage.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Formatting it is optional. It depends on whether you intend to use it to store very large files as FAT-32 will not support a file size over 4 GB. If you never intend to use it that way, leave it alone. Copying files to your new Mac's internal drive and then back again might be OK if you don't have much to copy. The more you have to copy back and forth the more you open yourself to file corruption and errors.

Your Mac will read and write to FAT-32 just fine. And, you can still use it with your PC.
QUOTE Thanks
xxxsur

xxxsur is on a distinguished road

i would suggest u keep it it FAT32 if you don't have files over 4GB
or maybe use ex-fat, more compatibility with windows
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxsur View Post
or maybe use ex-fat, more compatibility with windows
Not sure the OP was looking for more compatibility with windows though . . .. .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

As far as I remember you can't use the FAT format to store video files used for iMovie. Although I may be remembering incorrectly.

I seem to remember when I copied all my footage from my internal HDD I had to reformat my external from FAT.

Sucks to find out later that you need to change from FAT when you don't have enough room to move the files over to another drive while reformatting.

EDIT: I also just read this about Time Machine
"Time Machine can’t back up to an external disk that's connected to an AirPort Extreme, or to an iPod, iDisk, or a disk formatted for Microsoft Windows (NTFS or FAT format)."
So, if you want to use Time Machine format it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
As far as I remember you can't use the FAT format to store video files used for iMovie. Although I may be remembering incorrectly.
As long as the video files do not exceed 4 GB, they'll store just fine on a FAT-32 drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring Itunes Library | iTunes Menu Bar »