New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Has your Macbook Pro shut off??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cjjr72984

cjjr72984 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2011) 2.3GHZ Core i5, 320 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 , Snow Leopard

Hi everyone!

I'm a soon-to-be Macbook Pro owner and I just wanted to ask a simple question from all you guys that have made the switch....

Since you've had your MBP, how many times has it shut down from getting too hot?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjr72984 View Post
hi everyone! :d

i'm a soon-to-be macbook pro owner and i just wanted to ask a simple question from all you guys that have made the switch....

Since you've had your mbp, how many times has it shut down from getting too hot?
never

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 2 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
andymac2210

andymac2210 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.

What is this, the 1990's again?

Do computers still shut off from getting too hot?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Never
QUOTE Thanks
cjjr72984

cjjr72984 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2011) 2.3GHZ Core i5, 320 GB HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 , Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac2210 View Post
What is this, the 1990's again?

Do computers still shut off from getting too hot?
Lol, well I bought my Gateway laptop in 2008 and that thing shuts off from heat all the time. Especially when I try to watch youtube vids.

I just wanted to make sure I don't have that problem anymore.

I have heard Macbook Pro's get pretty warm though........
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Never, through many multi-hour gaming sessions - but if you plan on putting that piece of aluminum on your lap - it does get warm enough that you will want a lap stand.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

It does not get that hot.
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

I had heard many things about how hot they get. But, it's all completely false. Granted I do most of the "hard work" on the iMac... But even rendering videos and stuff on the MBP, it never even so much as feels slightly warm on the bottom. But even with the people that somehow seem to make them warm, I've never heard of them "shutting down" from it... That Windows worry is, out the window for you now

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkWorld View Post
But even with the people that somehow seem to make them warm, I've never heard of them "shutting down" from it... That Windows worry is, out the window for you now
It's not a Windows thing by any means - it's hardware related. I had overheating issues with my old laptop and it would shut down regardless of whether I was using Windows or Linux.

Any hardware will shut down, as I mentioned, if it gets too hot. Just be responsible when using your laptop and keep a few things in mind:
- Don't use it on soft surfaces such as sheets, blanket or your lap.
- Try to keep it dust free. Dust can clog up the fans preventing them from effectively circulating air.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Probably shouldn't have worded it quite like that, was just trying to make a funny

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It's not so much a Windows thing as a badly designed/badly assembled hardware thing.

CPUs and GPUs consume energy and radiate heat at a specified rate. A good engineering team will do the necessary thermal modeling and design in whatever heat sinks, heat pipes fans, and cases that will dissipate that heat given to the maximum environmental operating temperature of the machine.

Apple is pretty good about doing its homework. Some vendors aren't.

Occasionally, the factory assembles the unit wrong, or the chips that come from the supplier don't meet the supplier's own specs. Or the owner lets the machine get clogged with dust, or blocks the vents. That's when you get Macs that overheat.

Fortunately, that's rare.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I second the laptop lap-stand, mine has never shut off from getting too hot, but it does get slightly uncomfortably warm.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
EightmanVT

Mine hasn't even gotten warm yet - but maybe I'm not taxing it enough thus far...
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightmanVT View Post
Mine hasn't even gotten warm yet - but maybe I'm not taxing it enough thus far...
I doubt your 2011 MacBook Pro - 2.8GHz, i7, 8 GB Ram, can be taxed all that much anyways lolol, that's a sweet machine!

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
EightmanVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
I doubt your 2011 MacBook Pro - 2.8GHz, i7, 8 GB Ram, can be taxed all that much anyways lolol, that's a sweet machine!

- Simon
Thanks! I'm loving it so far! Enjoying the learning curve as well...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about Preview | Kvm switches... »