New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Does time machine compress data

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scottishpaul

Scottishpaul is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" | 3.2GHz Intel Icore3 | 4GB DDR3 SDRam | 1TB Sata Drive|ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM

Hi all,

Perhaps a stupid question but I have a 1TB drive on my imac and am wondering which size drive to buy as a backup for time machine as I am unsure if it compresses the data or makes an exact copy?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Scottishpaul

Mac Specs: 21.5" | 3.2GHz Intel Icore3 | 4GB DDR3 SDRam | 1TB Sata Drive|ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM

Oh and a related question if I may, with multiple user accounts on the mac will everyone be able to access all of the data copied by time machine or can it be restricted?

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Hi. I would go for a bare minumum 1.5TB drive as a Time Machine back up for your system, as it will give plenty of room for several back ups, rather than just one (assuming you eventually fill your internal to that level). It does not compress data at all, it is like for like.
As for the other question, if they only have access to their own account, then they shouldn't see the TM back up if it's not part of their system folder.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Scottishpaul

Thank you very much!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

But note: Time Machine will not backup except when you are logged in to the account that has TM set up.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
But note: Time Machine will not backup except when you are logged in to the account that has TM set up.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that, nice pick up Bob, Thanks.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Scottishpaul

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Users should be only able to access TM data that pertains to their account.
This one I don't know about. I know I can browse through my wife's TM backup from my machine. The TM backups are not encrypted. Have never checked from her computer to see if she can browse mine, but I'll bet she can.

I'll do a couple of tests and post back.

QUOTE Thanks
Scottishpaul

Thanks again guys, the reason for me asking about the other users is I am a photographer and some of the images I shoot are not child friendly so I don't want the kids stumbling on them if they click on the drive.

I know that when I have a normal drive connected it's accessible on any account, I thought perhaps the TM backup may be different but if it's not there's no point in having separate private accounts.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I use a Time Capsule for my TM backups. The other user accounts on my machine cannot access that hard drive at all. The TC is set up as a password protected server and without the password, no other account has access.

Sorry, can't test it on a external drive connected directly to my Mac as I use that for bootable clone backups rather than TM.

My wife's MB also does TM backups to the same TC. She can enter her own Time Machine backup, but her computer also does not have the required password to connect to the TC in Finder and cannot browse that drive.

All I can suggest is experiment. Do a TM backup, log into another account and see if you can browse it from there. If so, a Time Capsule might be worth the investment in your situation, just for the simple access control it provides preventing other accounts/users from accessing the drive.

I can tell you, I have full access for browsing my wife's TM backup in Finder. But then, I have the password to the drive.

QUOTE Thanks
Scottishpaul

Thank you bobtomay, that's very helpful and very much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

One other note just so it's clear if you decide to go the TC route - the other user accounts on my machine and my wife's MB do use the wifi network on the TC but have no access to browse the drive there as these are two separate passwords.

You are probably already set up with a router. You would not need to replace it with a TC. I use a D-Link router which is the one connected to the modem and handles all the DHCP in the house. The TC is set up in bridge mode connected via ethernet to the D-Link at the opposite side of the house. I run two wifi networks, one from the D-Link and a 2nd on the TC. Makes for easy switching between networks as I move around inside and outside the house with my mobile devices. One network is set up as a combo g/n for the devices that don't have n capability and one network is n only.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« .mov files from EVO 4G won't play friendly | Newbiest question »