New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

"iphoto quit unexpectedly"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bale

Bale is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

Had a software update earlier in the week (don't know if that's had any baring on the problem or not) and haven't used my iphoto for a few weeks but went to fire it up this evening and all I can get is a message box saying "iphoto quit unexpectedly" and 3 buttons to 'Report.... Ignore..... Reopen'

Have tried 'Reopen' but instantly does the same thing.

Have also tried a couple of the more basic fixes I found on this and other forums but no change.

Up until this evening I was using iphoto fine without any problems ( version 9.1.1 if this helps)

Your help as always would be very much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Have you tried Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility? I also hit report each time something like this happens if they get
enough of them they usually send out a fix just food for thought.
QUOTE Thanks
Bale

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Gave your suggestion a try - seemed to find plenty of things to repair but unfortunately didn't fix the iphoto problem.

Have sent Apple a report.

Anyone got any other suggestions ?

Thnx
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Hold down the "cmd"+"alt" keys and click iPhoto, if it loads it should give you a window to repair the iphoto library, click this and see if it repairs the problem.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Bale

Hi,

Just tried that and while it does appear, it's gone in a split second - far too quick for me to be useable.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Another option would be to re-install iLife, see if that solves the problem. Your files should stay intact and un-touched, but you can always back them up to an external drive to be 100% safe.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Bale

How do i do that ?

Do i need to uninstall first and if so, do i uninstall just iphoto or ilife completely ?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Bale

Hi Guys,

Ok, tried to reinstall iPhoto.

Moved the current copy of iPhoto to the trash - inserted iLife disc - customized and chose to install just iPhoto.

All good.

Was prompted to update software before it would run. So i updated.

Should probably mention at this point that i didn't trash my iPhoto library, so this remains.

Rebooted and fired up Iphoto - exactly the same !!

No change whatsoever. Still "iPhoto quit unexpectedly"

Does this mean the problem lies within my iPhoto library ?

Running out of ideas so would really appreciate some feedback.

Thnx
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

You could move your iphoto library to your desktop and try opening iPhoto to see if it is the problem.

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Bale

As a quick addition to my last post ;

I've just tried to fire up iMovies and i'm getting the same from that as well - "iMovie quit unexpectedly".

I have as yet not really used iMovies (other than a quick look through it when i first got my Macbook Pro a few weeks ago) so i don't even have an iMovies library.

Same as iPhoto - all was fine when i last tried it a couple of weeks ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Bale

Hi,

Gave it a try but still the same !!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Did you get the machine new? From Apple? If so I would take it to an Apple store or genius bar to get it looked at there, it will be covered by warranty.

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Bale

Hi,

Macbook Pro is new and under warranty but was hoping to save myself the 40 min drive to my nearest Genius Bar !

I've now realised that i have this problem with not only iPhoto and iMovies but with Quicktime as well - same message ".......quit unexpectedly. Report... Ignore....Reopen"

Have done an Apple Hardware Test and that's come back fine.
Have logged in as another user - same outcome.
Have reinstalled iPhoto - same outcome.
Have held down alt/cmd while opening iphoto - same outcome.
Have deleted the apple.com/plist - same outcome.

Have read loads about this problem on various forums now but have yet to hear of anyone that has a solution.

Anybody out there with some experience of this issue who has solved it ?

Thanks everyone
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It sounds to me like your install of the system -- 10.6, snow leopard -- is pooched.

I could tell you to do a system restore, but honestly that 40 minutes would be MUCH better spent driving to the Apple Store. You paid for that warranty and a superior computer -- and you are not getting what you paid for.
QUOTE Thanks
Bale

I've bit the bullet and booked an appointment at the genius bar for saturday afternoon.

Will post on here if I get a result - it may save someone else the grief i've had this week !!

Thanks everyone for all your help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New mac issues | Any tips for someone new to MAC? »