New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

email a song

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jerryf

jerryf is on a distinguished road

How do I email one song from a CD? I can't seem to get the song's file into an email. I can import it into itunes but then what?
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

First of all, make sure what you're doing is legal in your place of residence.

To e-mail a song from iTunes, assuming you have successfully imported the song, just drag the song to your desktop. This will create a copy of the song.

Now attach this file on your desktop to the e-mail.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
jerryf

jerryf is on a distinguished road

Is it illegal to send one song from a CD that I bought?

When I attached the file, it appeared in the email as a sliding control. I had thought it would just be an MP3 file.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

it just appears that way to those using Mac Mail or maybe even Outlook. It will still appear as a regular attachment.

Technically sharing a song with friends is illegal, I believe. You're allowed to share music for personal use (sharing to an ipod or to others in the same household).
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Here's how copyright laws work in most parts of the world:

When you buy a CD, you don't own the music, you only purchased the *rights* to use the music in some ways. These rights are endowed in the owner of the CD.

If you rip the song and send it to a friend or even relative, you are enabling him/her to listen to the music he has not purchased any rights for. Since you are still the owner of the music, this would be illegal.

If you gave away your CD, you would transfer the rights, as the owner of the CD has now changed.

So, to answer the question:

Is it illegal to send one song from a CD you bought? Yes, it is.

There are legal uses for copying music though - as long as you're using it for personal use, i.e. for backups or use on an iPod, it's legal.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

First off, jerryf -- thanks for caring about the legality of the situation. Although the present record-company model of music isn't great, at least artists get SOMETHING when you buy -- as opposed to NOTHING when one pirates.

Yogi answered the technical aspect of your question already, but here's a legal alternative that will actually work better anyway:

Send your recipient a link to the iTunes Store for that song. They can hear up to 90 seconds of it free, and then listen to samples of other songs by that artist etc and make up their minds if they want to buy the song or album too.

I use Ping for this since it connects to Twitter, but you get the idea.
QUOTE Thanks
Silverado

Silverado is on a distinguished road

Check if the song is on YouTube. If so, mail a link instead of the song file itself.
QUOTE Thanks
Feniks80

Feniks80 is on a distinguished road

Another alternative to Youtube is Playlist.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How good is compressed air for under keys?/Removing keys? | 13 or 15 inch MBP? (switching from Windows) »