Thread: email a song

email a song
    How do I email one song from a CD? I can't seem to get the song's file into an email. I can import it into itunes but then what?

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    First of all, make sure what you're doing is legal in your place of residence.

To e-mail a song from iTunes, assuming you have successfully imported the song, just drag the song to your desktop. This will create a copy of the song.

Now attach this file on your desktop to the e-mail.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

illegal?
    Is it illegal to send one song from a CD that I bought?

When I attached the file, it appeared in the email as a sliding control. I had thought it would just be an MP3 file.

Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    it just appears that way to those using Mac Mail or maybe even Outlook. It will still appear as a regular attachment.

Technically sharing a song with friends is illegal, I believe. You're allowed to share music for personal use (sharing to an ipod or to others in the same household).

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    Here's how copyright laws work in most parts of the world:

When you buy a CD, you don't own the music, you only purchased the *rights* to use the music in some ways. These rights are endowed in the owner of the CD.

If you rip the song and send it to a friend or even relative, you are enabling him/her to listen to the music he has not purchased any rights for. Since you are still the owner of the music, this would be illegal.

If you gave away your CD, you would transfer the rights, as the owner of the CD has now changed.

So, to answer the question:

Is it illegal to send one song from a CD you bought? Yes, it is.

There are legal uses for copying music though - as long as you're using it for personal use, i.e. for backups or use on an iPod, it's legal.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    First off, jerryf -- thanks for caring about the legality of the situation. Although the present record-company model of music isn't great, at least artists get SOMETHING when you buy -- as opposed to NOTHING when one pirates.

Yogi answered the technical aspect of your question already, but here's a legal alternative that will actually work better anyway:

Send your recipient a link to the iTunes Store for that song. They can hear up to 90 seconds of it free, and then listen to samples of other songs by that artist etc and make up their minds if they want to buy the song or album too.

I use Ping for this since it connects to Twitter, but you get the idea.

Check if the song is on YouTube. If so, mail a link instead of the song file itself.

Another alternative to Youtube is Playlist.

Thread Information