New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Could this be the answer to a Switcher's dreams?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

YouTube - CrossOver 9.0 Overview

Any one have first hand experience with this on MSFS?

Cheers

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You're behind the times -- Crossover 10 was released day before yesterday!

I have to say that I've been using computers for at least 33 years now, and Macs since 1986 ... and haven't found any need for to run a Windows emulator so far. To me it represents a failure of imagination in most cases.

(I accept that there are some legitimate reasons beyond my needs for running Windows on Macs, but for typical computer uses there really isn't)
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You're behind the times -- Crossover 10 was released day before yesterday!

I have to say that I've been using computers for at least 33 years now, and Macs since 1986 ... and haven't found any need for to run a Windows emulator so far. To me it represents a failure of imagination in most cases.

(I accept that there are some legitimate reasons beyond my needs for running Windows on Macs, but for typical computer uses there really isn't)
I have the opportunity to work from home as long as I can support our customer (the federal govt) and with bad weather forecasted for my area we have already been authorized to work from home should the need arise. Our customer requires deliverable's in MS Access, Project and Visio.

I agree the federal govt is'nt known for having any imagination but they are the customer, so unless I find "acceptable" work arounds I lose the ability to work from home.

Gaming is just one way I tried to asked this question.

Any suggestions?

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I have the opportunity to work from home as long as I can support our customer (the federal govt) and with bad weather forecasted for my area we have already been authorized to work from home should the need arise. Our customer requires deliverable's in MS Access, Project and Visio.

I agree the federal govt is'nt known for having any imagination but they are the customer, so unless I find "acceptable" work arounds I lose the ability to work from home.

Gaming is just one way I tried to asked this question.

Any suggestions?

Tom
Crossover, and any WINE-based product, is kind of hit-or-miss. And even when you can get an application running, it can be glitchy.

In your case, I'd recommend running Windows with a virtualization product like VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop or VirtualBox. This way, you can effectively sandbox Windows, but be able to run your needed work apps natively and reliably (and in parallel with Mac OS X).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

In addition to the good suggestion by cw107, you also need to determine if in your work at home that you may be required to access a domain server.

If you do, you will be limited to which version of Windows that you can use. The standard versions (Home) of Windows including Windows 7 will not allow domain access. You would need to run XP Pro, Vista Pro, or Win 7 Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

+1 for that, very hit and miss. i never got on with crossover 9.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

Good info and suggestions, I spoke with a co-worker and he suggested I speak with my companies IT department before I attempt to employ any of these solutions with govt data. I may just ask for a lap top if we should get a snow day this week. It's either work from home or take personal leave.

I think I'm leaning towards BOOTCAMPing Windows for my personal stuff.

Thanks again.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Good info and suggestions, I spoke with a co-worker and he suggested I speak with my companies IT department before I attempt to employ any of these solutions with govt data. I may just ask for a lap top if we should get a snow day this week. It's either work from home or take personal leave.
I can tell you from experience that if the data is sensitive in any way, you will not be able to use any of those solutions. For personal data and your own use, either will work OK.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinking about getting a mac | Having some major problems. »