New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

how to store iphotos on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

goldman

goldman is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

My First Post.

I am new to macs and purchased an imac about 6 months ago and have just used it for surfing the web.

I have put my family album onto this in iphoto what external cd/dvd/drive should i store this on for safety and i also want to be able to transfer on my laptop which is on windows 7.

What are the advantages and disadvantges of the options available.

Thanks for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Do you mean what type of external hard drive(not cd/dvd drive) should you store your photos on for safe keeping??

Also, do you mean you want to have those same photos on your windows 7 laptop as well as your iMac?

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
nicecrew

nicecrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp

You can "share" files between your laptop and mac. You need to set it up though, here is how you can do that:Mac 101: File sharing
Its actually really easy to do. Just go to system preferences<internet and network<sharing and then follow the instructions to setup file sharing from your PC and mac.
Good Luck!

[SIZE="2"] Macbook ownwer (3,1) Macbook Pro owner Ipod nano owner HP Pavililion owner
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

In terms of an external hard drive, I prefer Iomega because of their reliability. Here is a link to a 1TB drive for 80 bucks, it's pretty good deal: Iomega 34836 eGo Desktop External Hard Drive - 1TB, USB 2.0 at TigerDirect.com

Not only could you store your photos on here, but you could use this as a Time Machine backup as well for your mac.

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
goldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePope43 View Post
In terms of an external hard drive, I prefer Iomega because of their reliability. Here is a link to a 1TB drive for 80 bucks, it's pretty good deal: Iomega 34836 eGo Desktop External Hard Drive - 1TB, USB 2.0 at TigerDirect.com

Not only could you store your photos on here, but you could use this as a Time Machine backup as well for your mac.
I guess external hard drive is the best option, i just wondered if i could access it from my mac and also my windows 7, thanks for your help i will see if the external hard drive is avalable in the UK sounds like good value for money.
QUOTE Thanks
goldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecrew View Post
You can "share" files between your laptop and mac. You need to set it up though, here is how you can do that:Mac 101: File sharing
Its actually really easy to do. Just go to system preferences<internet and network<sharing and then follow the instructions to setup file sharing from your PC and mac.
Good Luck!
Thanks, this machine just has so many capabilities that i just have not got time to find out about, i am going to try that out later today if i get a chance i will let you know how i get on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« e-mails from Apple | Best way to learn how to use my mac »