New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I cut up a very large music file?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
section8joe

 
Member Since: Feb 08, 2005
Posts: 132
section8joe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.25 15inch powerbook

section8joe is offline
i have a music file that is too big to put on one music cd. How can I cut it up so I can burn them onto a few cd's? What application do I use and how to I go about doing it?


Thanks
Joe
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

 
inflexion's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 12, 2005
Location: /home/sheffield/UK
Posts: 1,278
inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

inflexion is offline
stuffit lets you split files up into custom sizes so try that
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2003
Location: Hamilton College
Posts: 7,003
trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

trpnmonkey41 is offline
In iTunes

Ctrl click on the song, set the end time so that it fits on a CD, click ok
Ctrl click on Song and Convert to MP3 (or AAC whatever you are using)
This will create another file in iTunes that will fit on a cd. Now set the start time on the large file to the end time of the first small one you made, change the end time if you have to and convert it again...you will now have two (or more) smaller files

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
section8joe

 
Member Since: Feb 08, 2005
Posts: 132
section8joe is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 1.25 15inch powerbook

section8joe is offline
How do you "set end time so that it fits on a CD?
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

i think hes say that u can change the length of the song by control clicking on it in itunes. then if u convert it to an mp3 in itunes it cuts it to the time you said. then u can burn the mp3 u created to a cd,... then change the start time on the oringal to where u left off and convert that to mp3 and burn it to another cd
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

 
walkerj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 13, 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 1,186
walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

walkerj is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by section8joe
i have a music file that is too big to put on one music cd. How can I cut it up so I can burn them onto a few cd's? What application do I use and how to I go about doing it?


Thanks
Joe
This is an interesting question, since it would mean that you have a .wav or .aiff (or whatever Mac's uncompressed sound format...I forget) that is greater than 650-700 megabytes, or more than 80 minutes. I would imagine that this would be something like a concert, or perhaps a speech by some congressman. Alternatively, it could also mean that you might have a song or concert of speech that was longer than the 12 hours or so that a 128kbps mp3 would be able to present on one 650 megabyte CD disc. This would be an unusual thing indeed, perhaps consisting of audio of say, the Nixon tapes (with "The missing tapes") or something of that nature. This would be quite unusual indeed, but not outside of the realm of possibility.

Anyway from a technical standpoint, and not one that is necessarily a pure Mac solution would be to use the free program Audacity to break this large file up into CD burnable sized ones. This program allows you to copy/cut paste sound much like Garageband, with the caveat that I haven't bothered to learn how to use garageband since I know how to use Audacity. It's very good for say, taking something that was recorded from ...oh, I don't know, the radio or something like that and busting up the long recording into individual songs. Then saving it to the digital music format of your choice. This program is, of course, available for MacOS X.

Keep in mind that the knowledge of being able to use this program, and possibly the program itself might be illegal as far as the Recording Industry Association of America is concerned, since they don't think it is possible to record anything that you can hear. They also think that it is possible to make it impossible to record anything that you can hear. However keep in mind that just because the Recording Industry Association of America thinks something is illegal, it does not necessarily make it so since they are not a legislative or judicial branch of any country's government. They merely think they can convince you that they are.
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 290
TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

TTheInfamous1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj
This is an interesting question, since it would mean that you have a .wav or .aiff (or whatever Mac's uncompressed sound format...I forget) that is greater than 650-700 megabytes, or more than 80 minutes. I would imagine that this would be something like a concert, or perhaps a speech by some congressman. Alternatively, it could also mean that you might have a song or concert of speech that was longer than the 12 hours or so that a 128kbps mp3 would be able to present on one 650 megabyte CD disc. This would be an unusual thing indeed, perhaps consisting of audio of say, the Nixon tapes (with "The missing tapes") or something of that nature. This would be quite unusual indeed, but not outside of the realm of possibility.

Anyway from a technical standpoint, and not one that is necessarily a pure Mac solution would be to use the free program Audacity to break this large file up into CD burnable sized ones. This program allows you to copy/cut paste sound much like Garageband, with the caveat that I haven't bothered to learn how to use garageband since I know how to use Audacity. It's very good for say, taking something that was recorded from ...oh, I don't know, the radio or something like that and busting up the long recording into individual songs. Then saving it to the digital music format of your choice. This program is, of course, available for MacOS X.

Keep in mind that the knowledge of being able to use this program, and possibly the program itself might be illegal as far as the Recording Industry Association of America is concerned, since they don't think it is possible to record anything that you can hear. They also think that it is possible to make it impossible to record anything that you can hear. However keep in mind that just because the Recording Industry Association of America thinks something is illegal, it does not necessarily make it so since they are not a legislative or judicial branch of any country's government. They merely think they can convince you that they are.
Wow... Thanks for this. So with Audasity I can cut up, say a DJ set and put breaks into the tracks and they will in turn be individual tracks? Like Track 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on? Just want to be sure because this is exactly what I need for my DJ sets when I want to put them on CDs to promote. I don't like giving out CDs with the set being only 1 track and 40 to 80 minutes long. I'd like to make it possible for people to pick and choose from what track they want to hear instead of pressing the search button to find the song/track they really want to hear.

I have WireTap Pro, but not sure I can do what I want to do with what Audasity can do. I think anyway.

TJ
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

 
walkerj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 13, 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 1,186
walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

walkerj is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTheInfamous1
Wow... Thanks for this. So with Audasity I can cut up, say a DJ set and put breaks into the tracks and they will in turn be individual tracks? Like Track 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on? Just want to be sure because this is exactly what I need for my DJ sets when I want to put them on CDs to promote. I don't like giving out CDs with the set being only 1 track and 40 to 80 minutes long. I'd like to make it possible for people to pick and choose from what track they want to hear instead of pressing the search button to find the song/track they really want to hear.

I have WireTap Pro, but not sure I can do what I want to do with what Audasity can do. I think anyway.
If by a "DJ set" you mean a long recording of what a DJ would play continuously during a party, then take that recording and break out a collection of songs, to save to individual sound files, then yes that's exactly what this will let you do. I use it to break out songs that I record off of iTunes streaming radio. I'll record (with Audacity) the stream for an hour or so then save the resultant .wav (I usually use a Windows machine to do this, since my work supplied laptop is actually a little more powerful than my Mac, plus I have it with me during times I'd be recording; you can do the same thing with the Mac version saving to .aiff) into a large file. Then I'll load up that file back into audacity later and edit it into individual song files (simple copy/paste...copy a selection of music from the main track exactly where you want it, create new stereo track and paste that into the new track, then save that track to a new .wav file.) You can also convert it to .mp3 or other format either while you're doing it or later on (though iTunes is actually better at that for me.) Continue doing this throughout the main track for each song or set of songs you want to pull out. You can also mix/match, insert gaps, fade in/fade out (I use this a lot to make the songs sound less like they were pulled from a stream since Internet DJ's like to fade one song into another) amplify and all that other cool audio editing stuff. I've also been able to stitch together the times when iTunes radio is rebuffering the stream.

It's also a pretty good multitrack editor which for being completely free is not too bad.
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 290
TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

TTheInfamous1 is offline
Thanks for the info. I gave it a try but I cant get it to work properly. When I open a track in it and press play, it runs through the track in less then a second and sounds like a really fast screech. Kinda strange. Or is that how its supposed to work? Maybe I have the settings wrong? Their web help is that helpful either.

TJ
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

 
walkerj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 13, 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 1,186
walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

walkerj is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTheInfamous1
Thanks for the info. I gave it a try but I cant get it to work properly. When I open a track in it and press play, it runs through the track in less then a second and sounds like a really fast screech. Kinda strange. Or is that how its supposed to work? Maybe I have the settings wrong? Their web help is that helpful either.
On the one hand, I want to say this is odd. It works fine with my Mac when I opened an AIFF file (and sounded great!) On the other hand, I seem to recall this exact same behavior when I was using it in the Linux version. I also recall fixing it. I will search around a bit because I wouldn't want to be accused of providing frustrating information It's actually a pretty good program.
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 290
TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

TTheInfamous1 is offline
Great, thanks.

Maybe Im installing it wrong. How would I install this disk image? When I click the down loaded .dmg file I get that icon that kind of looks like a disk drive. When I click on that nothing installs. Should I drag whats in the disk image to a folder this way it copies to the hard drive?

I havent been having much luck with .dmg files lately. How should I install it?

TJ
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

 
walkerj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 13, 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 1,186
walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

walkerj is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTheInfamous1
Great, thanks.

Maybe Im installing it wrong. How would I install this disk image? When I click the down loaded .dmg file I get that icon that kind of looks like a disk drive. When I click on that nothing installs. Should I drag whats in the disk image to a folder this way it copies to the hard drive?

I havent been having much luck with .dmg files lately. How should I install it?
Okay, going back to download the .dmg file, this is one of those where you open up the disk image file, and drag the program to your Applications folder. Then toss the disk drive icon into the trash (eject). Run the Audacity application from where you dragged it. So far the only bugs I've found are those that MIGHT have something to do with using a Griffin iMic. I don't think that's the problem though.
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 290
TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

TTheInfamous1 is offline
Thanks. I'll give it a shot after I finish eating and I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully it'll work out. I really could use this program. And since its free and I dont have to spend money on a decent music editing software makes it so much more better.

I'll post up shortly.

TJ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« reset all system options | HP printer/scanner/card reader..how will it work on a mini? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
File copying frustrations - help? djmitch Switcher Hangout 5 06-27-2005 02:23 AM
Can you guys open this site? Desolate One OS X - Apps and Games 13 04-29-2005 02:23 PM
How could i cut .vob file? xzp168 Archival Forum 3 11-01-2004 09:35 PM
Week in Review - 10/13/03-10/17/03 Murlyn Apple Rumors and Reports 0 10-20-2003 12:51 AM
Apple, Analysts on new music service schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 9 04-30-2003 02:14 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?