New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac 27" core i7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wolskaap

Wolskaap is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am new to this forum thing.

I have a 27" iMac core i7 and the secondary heat sync get to 194 degrees Fahrenheit it smells hot. I don't know if that is normal? what is a safe temperature?
QUOTE Thanks
RobFERN

RobFERN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24"

Congrats on your nice rig. That is normal like chas_m said. You are just "braking it in" like in a new car when the engine gets hot for the first time you drive it. Enjoy that beauty.

Rob

Once you go Mac, you never go back!
Windows is nothing but a POS!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

That's 90C and very close to the top temperature of the CPU. But if the heatsink is picking up that much temp, the CPU or whatever component is connected to the heatsink is even more higher and that's definitely not good..

There is no "breaking in" period with computers like cars. These are not mechanical things that need to have groves and so on..so please don't confuse the issue..

How are you checking the system temps? Grab the free iStat nano, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer and install it. Now open up the Dashboard and enable the iStat Nano widget if it isn't visible and take a peek at the temps.

On my 27" i7 iMac, I get the following numbers:

HD: 36C
CPU: 32C
Ambient: 14C (crazy cold basement)
GPU Diode: 46C
GPU Heatsink: 43C
Mem Controller: 35C
Optical Drive: 30C
Power Supply 2: 45C

Under crazy load, I've had the CPU go to about 60-65C..but that's about it..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Is this at idle or is it when you are doing something like watching flash movies? If you are doing nothing and the CPU is low utilized - then there is something wrong. Also, at what RPMS are the fans? At 90 deg c I'd expect the fans to be around 4000-5000 RPM.
You can use smc fan control to see/set the fan speeds.
Download smcFanControl for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make them run cooler. MacUpdate.com

See this article
Intel Core i7 Temperatures | Puget Systems Blog
Around 100 deg c the CPU will start throttling to help it cool - and as stated before you are around 90 deg c.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brand new iMac, frustrated | Hi - Newbie with several questions/comments »