New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Saving in Pages

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LOTRsolidsnake

LOTRsolidsnake is on a distinguished road

Hey yall,

When I hit SAVE after making adjustments to an already crated file, it just won't save, it wants me to rename the file and it's quite annoying to always have to overwrite the file. Is it possible to make it more like - gasp - saving a office document?

***note I'm saving it as a word file and it's for iWork 09'

iPhone 3Gs : MacBook Pro 15" i5 OSX 10.6 : iPad 16GB

Mac Switcher as of 6/19/10
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Try using (save as) instead of save.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That's probably the number one reason why I gave up on using Pages. Almost every Mac WP program I'm familiar with will allow auto save to the Office document format except iWork. To me it was a pain to have to use the save as function each time. Other than that annoyance, Pages is a nice application.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTRsolidsnake View Post
***note I'm saving it as a word file and it's for iWork 09'
Hello, Pages isn't a Microsoft product, so of course it doesn't save to that format automatically. Solution: save in Pages format. If you need a copy in Word, make it the final change, after you've proofread everything.

As for it being "annoying," please do call me when Microsoft Word will let me default to saving in Pages format ...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As for it being "annoying," please do call me when Microsoft Word will let me default to saving in Pages format ...
I most certainly will whenever the "Pages" file format becomes the de-facto standard throughout the business world and for education. You may not like MS but the fact is their Office file formats are the "standard" and why Apple refuses to change their option to "save" rather than "save as" is beyond me. Even the free "Bean" WP program allows a default save to *.doc.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
why Apple refuses to change their option to "save" rather than "save as" is beyond me.
The thing is, nobody but Microsoft really understands the MS Word format. So only Word can really save a document in Word format.

When you use an app like Bean or OpenOffice and save your only copy of the on-screen document as a Word doc, your original file is lost. It's gone. All you have is the format-converted version. Bean's own developers warn you that using MS formats may result in lost formatting data.

Pages, at least, does not try to disguise what is going on when you export a document in Word format.

From my perspective, it's unfortunate that some people buy Pages when they want to work with Word documents. Pages is not Word. It has some basic Word import and export features, which can be very useful, but that is not the same as full Word compatibility. If you need Word, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Word 2011.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
If you need Word, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Word 2011.
I agree. But it does not change the fact that almost every WP program except iWork can be made to save by default to the Office format. I like Pages because it does very well with lay out work but that one thing is a spoiler for me, and not just me, many other folks have mentioned the same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

I to like Pages and its functionality, never really worried about using save as to replace the original document, but it is the constant Recovered Files folder appearing in the trash after reboot that gets me.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

For me, the invention of PDF "solved" the whole "what format" problem forever.

Since I tend to work mainly in "layout" mode when using Pages, the ability to save as a Word file is utterly useless, since Word simply cannot cope with actual properly laid-out DTP type files. You have to either standardize everyone on the proper design program of your choice (InDesign, Quark, Pages, what have you) *or* you use PDF and the problem is solved permanently.

As for Word compatibility, as I say above -- when I need to send a Word document to someone, I just use Pages (or Bean, or Mariner Write, or TextEdit ...) and save in the native format for those programs until I'm sure the document is done, then save a copy to Word format (or, again, just spare myself a lot of aggro and save as PDF) and send it off. No muss, no fuss.

I do agree that if one is in a situation where one is constantly sending or exchanging with mainly Microsoft Office users that genuine MS Office is probably the best option, but apart from that niche of people it should be more important to pick the tool that will produce the BEST version of the work you want to do rather than joining the lemmings just because they all use something else. PDF format has made it unnecessary to "conform" to the "standard" when you want to use something else (better), and for that I'm grateful.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Ah, I love it. What are the three things you should never get into a discussion with someone?

1. Religion

2. Politics

3. Cars or computers (take your choice)

And finally to that we can now add: Word Processors or Office Suites.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet connection (Sky Broadband UK) | i cant find disk utility »