New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Cant connect Macbook to tv????

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steve noow

steve noow is on a distinguished road

Hi newbie here. having problems getting my macbook rigged upto my LG 42LF7700 hdtv, im using mini dvi to dvi, then dvi to hdmi, it will not detect displays, the screen goes blue for a second then back to normal and the tv says no signal, ive tried different ports on the tv, tried to change the resolution but nothing is happening, would by buying an ebay mini dvi to dvi cable and not a genuine Apple cable maybe be the problem as im totally out of ideas and this is very frustrating, i tried it on our panasonic tv in another room and it worked fine, please help!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Please do not crosspost.

If it's working fine on the Panny, there is nothing wrong with the cables.

If you used it with the Panny first, and are now trying to use the LG, you could try a SMC reset. If you tried the Panny after the LG just to see if it would work, the SMC reset probably will do nothing, but it won't hurt anything.

It is probably an issue of the LG not sending proper EDID info.
Not a lot you'll be able to do about beside check with LG and see if they have a firmware update for that model - not even sure LG does firmware updates for their TVs - or switch to VGA.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Isn't there, like an entire thread specifically devoted to this topic??

If there is, can I get a nickel for every time I see a new thread with a similar topic pop up here? Because that would get me a heck of a lot of nickels.
QUOTE Thanks
RobFERN

RobFERN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24"

works on all my Sony TVs. Sorry, but get a real TV. LG is only good with washer/dryer units. No, I am not starting a war.

Rob

Once you go Mac, you never go back!
Windows is nothing but a POS!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFERN View Post
works on all my Sony TVs. Sorry, but get a real TV. LG is only good with washer/dryer units. No, I am not starting a war.
Wouldn't count your blessings too fast - Sony has already admitted to the same issue on their current models.

If you would like a real TV, get a Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Isn't there, like an entire thread specifically devoted to this topic??

If there is, can I get a nickel for every time I see a new thread with a similar topic pop up here? Because that would get me a heck of a lot of nickels.
Thinking I could retire if I got a nickel everytime I answered one of these.

You could probably do the same with all the aud/vid threads.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RobFERN

RobFERN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24"

Sorry Bob,

I will die owning Sony's. I seen the rest of my disfuctional family own those brands and all they do is ***** about them and replace them as they break.

But at least we share the Apple commonality.

Cheers.

Rob

Once you go Mac, you never go back!
Windows is nothing but a POS!
QUOTE Thanks
darkfader

darkfader is on a distinguished road

LG might be cheaper or something?
Since Apple added HDCP to 10.6.6 (?), some TVs with crappy HDMI implementation became incompatible.
Anyways... you can fix this easily by updating the firmware of the LG.
Google for LG_DTV, download and install.
Use Overscan (in OS X) and "Just Scan" (in Q.Menu of TV).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie Question About ClamXav | iMac documents on ioad »