disk repair help
    All i want to do is "repair disk" and not just verify. This is what I was told by a repair person. He said to repair first and not bother with a verify. I was also told to do this once a month to check for any problems. The question is how do I do this if I do not have the original startup disk. I do have a startup for my 15" and was wondering if it can be used in the 13" which is the one I want to check and have no disk for. Can this be done and what is the exact procedure, and when do place the startup disk in ? When read on how to this, no one really points out when to put in the disk. Thank you

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by DELINDA View Post
    The question is how do I do this if I do not have the original startup disk. I do have a startup for my 15" and was wondering if it can be used in the 13" which is the one I want to check and have no disk for. Can this be done and what is the exact procedure, and when do place the startup disk in ? When read on how to this, no one really points out when to put in the disk. Thank you
    You cannot use the disk from the 15"...because those gray disks are model specific...and won't work in the 13". If your 13" is an Intel based Mac (which it probably is if it's less than 4 years old)...just go to your nearest Apple Store and pick up an OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard" OS install disk for $29.

As far as when to stick in the disk...you put it into your CD/DVD...restart the computer...and hold down the "C" key immediately. This will cause the computer to "boot" from the CD/DVD.

Then when the computer has completely restarted from the Snow Leopard CD...go up to the top of the screen with your mouse curser (where you would normally find the drop-down menus)...and click there & under one of the menus you will have a choice to open "Disk Utility". Open Disk Utility...and then do the disk repair.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information