New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Question about back ups (time machine).

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ScubaDachshund

ScubaDachshund is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone4, MBP

Hi, it's me again. Going to buy my first Mac (MBP) this coming Sunday. (It seems oh so far away. Sigh.) I have a question about backing up files and the time machine program.

I also keep my documents, picture, and music folders backed up on an external hard drive. My wife also backs up her files (when/if she remembers ) to that drive. I plan on buying a different external hard drive to use for back up of the new MBP. A) so that I can format it just for the Mac and B) so my wife doesn't wipe out my back up files. (It's happened. )

I know that Mac OS X comes with Time Machine. Does this back up all files or just certain operating system files or will it also back up documents, photos/videos, and music? If I wanted to store some files just on the back up hard drive (ie some movies or music I didn't want to keep on the MBP all the time), could I do that or will it only allow for Time Machine to copy to it? What if I partition the drive? Could I have Time Machine back up to one partition and store files on the other?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaDachshund View Post
I know that Mac OS X comes with Time Machine. Does this back up all files or just certain operating system files or will it also back up documents, photos/videos, and music?
It backs up everything unless you ask it to exclude items.

Quote:
If I wanted to store some files just on the back up hard drive (ie some movies or music I didn't want to keep on the MBP all the time), could I do that or will it only allow for Time Machine to copy to it?
Only if you partition it!

Quote:
What if I partition the drive? Could I have Time Machine back up to one partition and store files on the other?
Yes
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I use an external drive as both my Time Machine backup drive and as a drive to permanently keep some files independent from the Time Machine schedule. So yes, you can use one drive to use as a Time Machine backup and as a regular external drive.
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

yzfmik is on a distinguished road

You do not have to buy a Mac specific HD, correct? I would like to get a Western Digital 2TB external to Time Machine backup my 3 Macs, would this be ok?

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
 MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz
 iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz /  iPod 30GB /  iPhone 5 32GB
 iPad 2 64GB / 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB/ iPad Mini 32GB
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfmik View Post
You do not have to buy a Mac specific HD, correct? I would like to get a Western Digital 2TB external to Time Machine backup my 3 Macs, would this be ok?
-Plug in the external HD.
-Open disk utility.
-Format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
-Name it something like time machine backups, and you are good to go
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

yzfmik is on a distinguished road

Awesome, thanks!

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
 MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz
 iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz /  iPod 30GB /  iPhone 5 32GB
 iPad 2 64GB / 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB/ iPad Mini 32GB
QUOTE Thanks
ScubaDachshund

ScubaDachshund is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone4, MBP

Thanks for the help. Look for me in the Switchers forum after tomorrow. I'll probably have a lot more questions after I get the Mac home and start playing with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning an ISO image | LONGTIME pc user -- Just bought my first Mac »