New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Import Contacts from iphone to Address Book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nuni20

nuni20 is on a distinguished road

i'v just got my new macbook pro. is it possible to import contacts from my iphone to the address book? if so how can i do that?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Have you got your iPhone synced with itunes? If so just make sure that in the iphone menu on itunes that you have selected contacts to be synced aswell.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
have selected contacts to be synced aswell.
Plus the "import new contacts from iPhone option". Not sure of the exact wording.
QUOTE Thanks
Scottishpaul

Scottishpaul is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" | 3.2GHz Intel Icore3 | 4GB DDR3 SDRam | 1TB Sata Drive|ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM

I have the same problem, I have tried the sync option but it only takes the contacts already on my mac and puts them on the phone not the other way round. I can see nothing that says 'import new contacts from iphone'? I really do not relish the idea of having to copy so many contacts laboriously by hand.

You would have thought that this would be a very simple task really. My iphone is used for work so all of my contacts on my work pc are synced over the airwaves through the microsoft exchange server automatically but I also want them backed up and accesssible on my mac at home, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've searched for this all last night and found things like idrive but I want my contacts to be in my mac address book not in some online storage centre.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Are you trying to say that the contacts on your iPhone came from somewhere else? Has your iPhone been synced with the Mac at all? When you first started up the Mac, did you not use Migration assistant to copy this sort of info to the new machine? Is your current Mac Address Book blank?

In short, DETAILS PLEASE.
QUOTE Thanks
RJoy

RJoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac OX 10.6.6 3.06 GHz i3/4GB ram 500GB HD, 3rd gen iTouch

Same question from different person.

Our contacts were synced to the iTouch from our windows computer...which died. Hence the purchase of the apple computer. Anyway to get them from the touch onto the mac?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I believe Pod To Mac will handle this. Check with them before spending the money, however.
QUOTE Thanks
Scottishpaul

Scottishpaul is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" | 3.2GHz Intel Icore3 | 4GB DDR3 SDRam | 1TB Sata Drive|ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM

I ended up exporting my contacts from my work pc into a csv file, putting it onto a memory stick then importing it into my address book.

For all the great things a mac does this should be one of the simplest yet it is so awkward it verges on the impossible!
QUOTE Thanks
ralphmorgan

ralphmorgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 iMac10,1 w/Mountain Lion 10.9.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, 4S iPhone with upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishpaul View Post
I have the same problem, I have tried the sync option but it only takes the contacts already on my mac and puts them on the phone not the other way round. I can see nothing that says 'import new contacts from iphone'? I really do not relish the idea of having to copy so many contacts laboriously by hand.

You would have thought that this would be a very simple task really. My iphone is used for work so all of my contacts on my work pc are synced over the airwaves through the microsoft exchange server automatically but I also want them backed up and accesssible on my mac at home, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've searched for this all last night and found things like idrive but I want my contacts to be in my mac address book not in some online storage centre.
I asked this question before and never got an answer so I just did the import manually. Only took an hour or so for my 115 contacts.
QUOTE Thanks
Gillian.summers

Gillian.summers is on a distinguished road

Manually entered? You mean one at a time?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishpaul View Post
I ended up exporting my contacts from my work pc into a csv file, putting it onto a memory stick then importing it into my address book.

For all the great things a mac does this should be one of the simplest yet it is so awkward it verges on the impossible!
It is simple. You were supposed to use Migration Assistant. You didn't, so you made things more difficult (but still not actually difficult).
QUOTE Thanks
jameypoole

jameypoole is on a distinguished road

I'm having a slightly different issue, in that I want the new contacts I've entered in my phone over the past couple months to be added to my mac address book. They don't seem to merge/ copy over automatically when I sync. Any advice on this? I have about 30 new contacts I'd like to transfer.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameypoole View Post
I'm having a slightly different issue, in that I want the new contacts I've entered in my phone over the past couple months to be added to my mac address book. They don't seem to merge/ copy over automatically when I sync. Any advice on this? I have about 30 new contacts I'd like to transfer.
That is a setting you can choose in iTunes when you have your iPhone connected. It is in the "Info" tab.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
jameypoole

jameypoole is on a distinguished road

You mean the option to "Add contacts created outside of groups on this IPhone to"?-- I have that checked-- it's still not adding the new contacts from my phone to the address book on my computer. Is there another option I'm missing?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« not really a beginner but I need help! | mac mini identification »