New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

opening multiple docs in Word for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Deb W.

Deb W. is on a distinguished road

I hope this is a simple problem... If I have a doc open in Word for Mac and then want to open an additional doc, the second doc opens behind the first doc. I want to change the settings so that when I open a file, it opens on top of the previous file I already had open.

This only happens in Word for doc. If I open any other windows for other programs, they always open on top of whatever I already have open. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac G3 800MHz :D | PowerMac G4 | MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz C2D 500GB HDD 4GB 9600M / 9600M GT 10.7.1

Just opened Word to have a look at the settings and can't find anything in there that could help with this issue i'm afraid it may be something you have to live with.

- Simon

Rest In Peace Steven Paul Jobs February 24, 1955 - October 5, 2011 [aged 56]
If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system just above the post to the right.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I just tested it on Word for Mac 2011 and don't see this behavior? Are you on Office 2008?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I can't imagine what it is you're doing because I don't see that behavior in either Office 2008 nor 2011. I just tried again and again with multiple documents and the last document opened always opens on top. It's the same with the Windows version Office 2010.
QUOTE Thanks
redraven571

redraven571 is on a distinguished road

I just checked with Office 08 on my mbp, the latest doc opens on top.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

My new docs open on top as well. Office 2004
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Command ~ to cycle through them?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
sarahmahoney

sarahmahoney is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, documents open on top and then immediately flash to behind the document I already had open. I have found others with the same problem on the internet, but no solution.

I am using Word 2008 version 12.2.8

Does anyone know if this is because I am not using spaces?

It is really annoying.

Thank you CrimsonRequiem being able to toggle through them will help, even if it does not exactly solve the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmahoney View Post
I have the same problem, documents open on top and then immediately flash to behind the document I already had open. I have found others with the same problem on the internet, but no solution.

I am using Word 2008 version 12.2.8

Does anyone know if this is because I am not using spaces?
I doubt it, but one way to find out is to activate Spaces. I use Spaces, and Office 2004, but for a long time, I had deactivated Spaces. This has not changed the behavior of Word at all.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I just tried again and can't get the last document opened to open any other way except on top. And no, Spaces isn't going to make any difference.

Are you opening your documents in "Print View" mode or some other view? I use the Print View mode for all my documents. I don't doubt you're having this problem, it's just that I can't duplicate it on my system.
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

Could there be some sort of preference or other setting elsewhere (outside of Word) that could affect things? It's puzzling that some do or don't have the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Hmmm... could be Stanley.
Perhaps try quitting word, dragging com.microsoft.Word.plist to the desktop.
You will find this in user/library/preferences.
Relaunch word and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Perhaps try quitting word, dragging com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist to the desktop.
You will find this in Users/YouruserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft.
Relaunch word and see what happens.
Fixed that for you.
(Some folks might not equate "user" with their Home Folder, since there is a Users folder.)

I have the file without "prefs" in the Preferences folder. I just moved it out and opened a Word file. A new plist was not created. I think the one in the Microsoft folder is the one you want.
QUOTE Thanks
MackOrPeeSee

MackOrPeeSee is on a distinguished road

An end-user was having a similar issue (but I'm not sure if this applies to OP's problem).

I found out that Office 2011 will reopen its previous state; meaning if you have (for example) six Word files open as you close Word, the next time you open any Word document it will reopen those same six documents no matter what.

Simply close all six documents individually before you close Word as a program.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBooks | Advice on best printers for Macbook Air »