New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What does the number at the bottom of the "Finder" menu mean?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CincyDrummer

CincyDrummer is on a distinguished road

I've heard that it is the available disk space left on my computer, but when I highlight a different program the number will sometimes decrease to a number that surely isn't the full amount of disk space left!

Extreme n00b here; thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

At the bottom of my finder it says:
14 items, 904.56 GB available.

It means that there are 14 items in the current directory that is highlighted on the left hand side. In my case it was my Home Folder with my name on it.
The other number if how many Giga Bytes are left on the Hard Disk.
In my finder the amount of space left remains the same when I highlight other folders.

What are you highlighting that makes it change?

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

First I want to find out what CincyDrummer means by "Finder menu," since the actual "Finder menu" (ie the Application menu when Finder is active) doesn't show any numbers at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Cincy, a few basic terms might help clear this up. The menu usually refers to the menu bar that runs along the top of your screen. The Finder itself is the window that opens when you click on the Finder icon in the Dock. The Dock is the strip of application shortcuts usually at the bottom of your screen.

Now what numbers are showing where, and what exactly does it say?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Well, Finder is an application. You see windows that hold your stuff when you open folders on a volume, such as your hard drive. Those are Finder Windows. ...as long as we're using terminology correctly.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rookie needs help | HP Photosmart C4580 Printer, not working. »