New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

version 10.6.6 update problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macinsc

Macinsc is on a distinguished road

I just installed the latest update. Picasa and TextEdit have disappeared. Should I have expected this?
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Have they disappeared

a) from your Dock?
b) from your Applications folder?
c) both?
QUOTE Thanks
Macinsc

From both. There is a Question mark in the dock and I cannot find either anywhere using various search methods. No Picasa in applications.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.2 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Can you locate the apps. using SpotLight ? ( Upper Right Hand corner of the screen )

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Macinsc

Spotlight will only locate a folder that has a few pictures in it. No Picasa program. Nothing for textedit which is no big deal. I do still have iphoto so I don't believe I have lost any originals.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all

That is indeed weird.

Try the following:

- Try repairing permissions.
Repairing permissions: What you need to know | Utilities - Page 1 | Macworld

- Apply the 10.6.6. Combo Update
Mac OS X v10.6.6 Update Combo
QUOTE Thanks
Macinsc

Thanks for the suggestions, however, neither made a difference. The Combo v10.6.6 update was what caused the problem originally.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

Have you seen

App icons missing after 10.6.6 update - MacRumors Forums

Apple - Support - Discussions - All applications lost after upgrade to ...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not to derail the thread too much - but,

Hey Yogi - good to see ya around again.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Macinsc

Well at the risk of embarrassing myself the problem is solved. I downloaded EasyFind and had it check all folders. Nothing new. Then I checked also search invisible files and folders. It found the disk image for Picasa. Clicking on the DiskImage it stated Picasa is running from the DiskImage, would you like to copy to Applications folder? Problem solved.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Happens to a few applications/utilities.

After an update of the operating system always have to install Applejack from the .dmg file.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Not to derail the thread too much - but,

Hey Yogi - good to see ya around again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Items in dock: ? | My Mac boots in Safe Boot - Help »