New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need help backing things up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

awesomepawsome

awesomepawsome is on a distinguished road

I have had my MBP for a year and a half now and its running IMO slow. Slower than it should be. So I decided to re-wipe it and instead of using TM to back up just saving what I only need so I can start from a clean slate. My question are

-How do I save iPhoto? Just drag and drop the file from pictures>iphoto library

-How do i save my iTunes so its exactly how it was when I reload it

-How do I save programs like Microsoft word and Photoshop without needing to re-install from their disc's or re-download.

Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

If you have a external hard drive you can back up with Time Machine. Or you can clone your hard drive on to a external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
awesomepawsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflitskyle View Post
If you have a external hard drive you can back up with Time Machine. Or you can clone your hard drive on to a external hard drive.
Cloning will just copy all the unwanted junk as well.Im trying to start clean but keep the essentials.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

It would be much easier to just use Time Machine and from there choose which folders you DON'T want it to save. What's wrong with using Time Machine? It's so incredibly easy.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomepawsome View Post
-How do I save iPhoto? Just drag and drop the file from pictures>iphoto library
I agree with my colleagues, you're going about this wrong. Your Mac is not larded up with junk like PCs are -- unless YOU larded it up of course -- so you really don't have to worry about this so much.

If you really want to save the iPhoto Library in the best manner possible, I would recommend backing up the ENTIRE Pictures folder even though some files may not be part of iPhoto.

Quote:
-How do i save my iTunes so its exactly how it was when I reload it
I would apply the same advice I gave above to the Music folder.

Quote:
-How do I save programs like Microsoft word and Photoshop without needing to re-install from their disc's or re-download.
Since neither of these programs are available for purchase via download, I infer that you ask this because you don't have a legal copy. So the answer is therefore buy a legal copy so that you can re-install them -- because in the case of both of those particular programs nothing short of a clone is going to save you from having to do that anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
awesomepawsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I agree with my colleagues, you're going about this wrong. Your Mac is not larded up with junk like PCs are -- unless YOU larded it up of course -- so you really don't have to worry about this so much.

If you really want to save the iPhoto Library in the best manner possible, I would recommend backing up the ENTIRE Pictures folder even though some files may not be part of iPhoto.

I would apply the same advice I gave above to the Music folder.

Since neither of these programs are available for purchase via download, I infer that you ask this because you don't have a legal copy. So the answer is therefore buy a legal copy so that you can re-install them -- because in the case of both of those particular programs nothing short of a clone is going to save you from having to do that anyway.
I have legal just the install disc are 400 miles away. I once re installed the os on my computer and MW asked me to enter in another key,this is fine but the disc comes with only 3 working copies so having spend 2 on the same computer was a huge letdown.

Is there anyway I can just restore CERTAIN items from TM. I think that might just work better if I can just click what I want from the whole copy.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

TM kinda works that way - you just have to know where your stuff was (in folders and what not)

I got back in time as part of a bundle - and it may be what you are looking for.
Download Back-In-Time for Mac - Easy access to all data backed up by Time Machine. MacUpdate.com
QUOTE Thanks
awesomepawsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
TM kinda works that way - you just have to know where your stuff was (in folders and what not)

I got back in time as part of a bundle - and it may be what you are looking for.
Download Back-In-Time for Mac - Easy access to all data backed up by Time Machine. MacUpdate.com
So before I go ahead and bite the bullet. If I restore my laptop 100%,all I have to do is DL this program,connect my TM backup, run the program and just pick what I want/need and click restore and it will migrate it to my laptop?

If thats the case,will this include my itunes library (still dont know how to locate that one!,and iPhoto)..Also,again he question for my programs. The ones Im worried the most about were Purchased but the install disc for example of MW is 300 miles away and split between 3 siblings. I don't have anymore available working keys for that one disc. Will this program let me copy it back and MW will function like normal?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

First off, you don't need to download Time Machine. It comes standard with every Mac. When you first plug your external drive in, Time Machine will open and ask if you want to use it as your backup drive and there will be an options button that lets you select what you want it to back up.

If something happens to your programs, they can usually be restored with no problem. I don't know if certain applications require a product key even for backups, but none of my purchased applications do, even big ones like Final Cut Studio.

Here's how Time Machine works:

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics
QUOTE Thanks
awesomepawsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
First off, you don't need to download Time Machine. It comes standard with every Mac. When you first plug your external drive in, Time Machine will open and ask if you want to use it as your backup drive and there will be an options button that lets you select what you want it to back up.

If something happens to your programs, they can usually be restored with no problem. I don't know if certain applications require a product key even for backups, but none of my purchased applications do, even big ones like Final Cut Studio.

Here's how Time Machine works:

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics
Im sorry,I must have written something wrong but I know what time machine is and its functions,I was asking about the program he suggested =-).

But,good to know,I know I had to re-enter a new key when I did my old MBP when it came to MW =-/!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Explain me RAM usability | File Reservation »