New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A Switchers guide to recommended free Apps to download to your new Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AWSPhotography

AWSPhotography is on a distinguished road

well mrplow,

thats you and chas both that have said the same thing so perhaphs you're both right and maybe i should get the mods to delete the thread.

was just trying to be helpful

I'm the idiot behind the camera that just presses the button.
self confessed animalhugger
http://www.awsphotography.co.uk/
QUOTE Thanks
AWSPhotography

AWSPhotography is on a distinguished road

mods please delete thread

I'm the idiot behind the camera that just presses the button.
self confessed animalhugger
http://www.awsphotography.co.uk/
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Already been done .......

A Switchers guide to recommended free Apps to download to your new Mac

Sadly my antipodean mate is no longer around but he tried

And here is mine :

Quote:
Adium ~ Chat Client
Growl Notifications
SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner ~ Both make bootable copies of your HD
HandBrake ~ Video Converting
Burn ~ As it says A Burning App
Transmission ~ p2p client
Skitch ~ Screen capture and more
VLC ~ Video player that plays most codecs and does a lot more
Perian and Flip4Mac Makes watching certain codecs easier ... This is Essential IMHO
Audacity ~ Play with Music App
CandyBar ~ Mods all your icons, and dock
MainMenu or Oynx ~ Does the same as Disk utility only more thorough
Quicksilver ~ Works like Spotlight but way way better and does so much more
StuffitExpander ~ Opens Zip and rar files and more
Lil Snitch ~ Firewall type App that looks at your incoming and outgoing traffic
and last but certainly not least .....
AppTrap ~ Once installed it sits in System Preferences and deletes all associated files of anything that you put in the trash ...

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Similar thread that could be merged maybe ??

The definitive “Apps you must get for your first imac” guide

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Even though I own 1Password and like it, it should be noted that it duplicates most of the functionality of the Keychain.

My advice -- as I stated in my essay -- is not to lard up your new machine with apps until you have thoroughly explored what the machine comes with and THEN determined what your needs are that aren't already met. Saves a lot of time and money.
For me, the biggest feature that 1Password has added to the Keychain functionality is the ability to sync to my iPad and iPhone, as well as between Macs. I use it just for convenience, but my wife uses it to be able to access her business accounts from both her desktop (MacMini) and her laptop (MBP 13"). That function has let us improve our passwords by using generated passwords from 1Password and not having to remember them. One site estimated our generated password would take 37,000 years to crack! (16 characters, upper/lower case, numbers and symbols included)
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
For me, the biggest feature that 1Password has added to the Keychain functionality is the ability to sync to my iPad and iPhone, as well as between Macs.
Bingo.

I would also add Windows computers since I have to use one at work.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSPhotography View Post
mods please delete thread
Merging this thread with previous similar thread is probably a better idea. Sometimes newer applications are released that may not have been discussed, included, or available before...thus continuing the discussion keeps things up to date as things change.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Similar thread that could be merged maybe ??

The definitive “Apps you must get for your first imac” guide
Thanks for identifying the appropriate thread.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saving a picture to the disk drive, extension not used? | what personal finance software? »