New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A Switchers guide to recommended free Apps to download to your new Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I can only add so much to the list before I can't edit the original posts anymore. And the posts can only hold 10k characters. That's why I had to have 2 posts for it.
My thought is that this would be the brainstorming thread. Use this to get feedback from others, and then when it's time, I'll have you create what will become the "official" sticky thread.

Quote:
Secondly I wanted to do more then just a simple list of apps. I wanted to tell the people new to the Mac what each App does and why they should download it. Sure you can google up many app lists. But very few go into detail as to why a new Mac user should have them.
I agree descriptions are better than a list, but the feedback I would still give is that your descriptions need to be pared down pretty substantially. Very few people take the time to read stickies and if there's too much text to read, they just won't do it.

Look for redundant words or sentences you can remove that aren't key to what you're saying. Another great trick is bullet pointing if you absolutely need to include the info, makes it look shorter.

Quote:
Thirdly I'm not putting in things like firefox or thunderbird. Sure they are great apps. But as many people have said in many switcher topics here it's best to use the Apple versions (safari and mail for example) first.
Don't really disagree with this approach, makes sense for switchers. But I would then also question things like Click2Flash or AdBlocker...are they really necessary for beginning switchers? And if you do think they're important enough, I'd probably link to the Safari extension versions to make it even easier for people to install them.

Quote:
And lastly all of the apps on my list are free. We could have a paid list too if you wanted.
Probably would make sense...actually what might be nice is thinking of common Windows software and what the Mac equivalent is and creating a list from that.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
ovbg

ovbg is on a distinguished road

I would like to add a couple:

Xee: Since moving to the mac, I have missed the best photoviewer ever created, irfanview. Sadly, they do not make a mac version. After exhustive installing and uninstalling, I finally came across Xee. It's still only a shadow of irfanview, nowhere near as fast (irfanview is twice as fast on my 6year old PC, than my top of the range iMac27") but for basic and beautiful full screen photo viewing from your folders (rather than iPhotos libraries) it's so far the best I have found on the Mac.
Xee

TV-Browser: For UK TV watchers, Digiguide is a great source for browser listings on the PC. Like Xee, they won't do a Mac version, but here is a free alternative. It's not as pretty (actually quite ugly) but is pretty much the only application based TV Guide for UK TV out on the Mac. Great for those millions of UK TV watchers living on the continent.
TV-Browser.org - Downloads
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Calibre. Outstanding for organizing and manipulating eLibrary.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
While these are wonderful intentions, you might consider the whole package of who your target audience is. Switchers - the name itself implying that they are coming from something else to Mac OS X. It is likely that these people would be coming from Windows or Linux. You might consider that in either of these cases, Thunderbird has a somewhat special (and free) capacity to allow importing of Outlook (and Mozilla) mail into the Apple Mail.app you are favoring. You might consider mentioning this, at least in passing, as a Switcher intending to switch to Mail.app may well need an application to import their messages to their new Mac.

Or don't. It really doesn't effect my paycheck one way or the other...
Well you do make a rather good point there. I'm not favouring mail. I never use it. I'm just saying use what Apple supplies first. But a switcher might find TB's outlook importing service a good idea. I didn't think of this honestly. To me new to computers or switchers is still new to the Mac. I wrote it more towards a new to the Mac person.

But in the end you do make a good point. And it's ok to get advice from others right? I'm not perfect. And your idea is a good one. I'll see how I can incorporate it into my original posts if I have the space to do so (max 10k characters per post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
My thought is that this would be the brainstorming thread. Use this to get feedback from others, and then when it's time, I'll have you create what will become the "official" sticky thread.
I agree 100% and in January we can make a final topic with all the info from everyone collated into it. And having App store links too.
Quote:
I agree descriptions are better than a list, but the feedback I would still give is that your descriptions need to be pared down pretty substantially. Very few people take the time to read stickies and if there's too much text to read, they just won't do it.
Well we can take it out or leave it in or edit it for the final topic you mentioned above. I had my ideas. If they work cool. If not get rid of them. Then we can make the best final thread in January.
Quote:
Don't really disagree with this approach, makes sense for switchers. But I would then also question things like Click2Flash or AdBlocker...are they really necessary for beginning switchers? And if you do think they're important enough, I'd probably link to the Safari extension versions to make it even easier for people to install them.
Another good idea. You don't need click to flash or ad block. But they do make the web experience way better. Again they might make the cut for the final topic in January, or they might not. Time will tell.
Quote:
Probably would make sense...actually what might be nice is thinking of common Windows software and what the Mac equivalent is and creating a list from that.
Good idea I really like this.
QUOTE Thanks
wavinwayne

wavinwayne has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"

Cinch is a nice little app that I discovered today. Forgive me if it has already been mentioned. Basically, it works the same as Aero Snap in Windows 7.

Irradiated Software - Cinch

Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

VLC- A great no fuss alternative to Quicktime without having to add flip4Mac and perian.
Right Zoom- Make a lot of Windows switchers feel right at home.
It is something that I use quite frequently, and with expose and spaces, it works a treat when working on things like Garageband, while having documents that I have put together of song arrangements and lyrics open.
I also like having my browser windows open full screen too, and know that I'm not alone out there
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

I think AppZapper is pretty useful. This app deletes everything the app came with, example a .plist file. If you just dragged the app icon to the trash and delete the app, the .plist file will still be left behind.
QUOTE Thanks
bmac_17

bmac_17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavinwayne View Post
Cinch is a nice little app that I discovered today. Forgive me if it has already been mentioned. Basically, it works the same as Aero Snap in Windows 7.

Irradiated Software - Cinch
Thanks for the app!! It is the single thing that I missed the most from Windows.

MacBook Pro -- 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 500 GB 7200RPM HD - 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac_17 View Post
Thanks for the app!! It is the single thing that I missed the most from Windows.
Maybe I didn't make this very clear - Better touch tool does windows snapping for free. Here is the dialog box. You can also assign the snap to a gesture.

Speaking of windows management I forgot about Zooom2. It is not free but I use it all the time. It is how I am used to moving and resizing windows from linux - using a combination of keys and the mouse to move/resize windows. Plus it has magnetics for both resize and move.
Zooom/2: Window management for your Mac made easy
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Plex - A Complete Media Solution on extra steroids. It can play almost any thing you throw at it. I think it is better than VLC.
http://www.plexapp.com/
QUOTE Thanks
declan27

declan27 is on a distinguished road

Anyone have a suggestion for a alternative to WinRAR? Or is WinRAR compatible ?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by declan27 View Post
Anyone have a suggestion for a alternative to WinRAR? Or is WinRAR compatible ?
The unarchiver is what I use - has support for many of the compression algorithms.
The Unarchiver
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...narchiver.html
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
The unarchiver is what I use - has support for many of the compression algorithms.
The Unarchiver
Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - The Unarchiver
Just remember today (6th January) the Apple downloads site is supposed to die. Replaced with the App store. So yeah that  downloads site link will only be good for a few hours at best.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Replaced with the App store. So yeah that  downloads site link will only be good for a few hours at best.
On this ^^ when are we going to know its open ?? I mean the home page is still on the MBA and there is nothing that stands out to say it will open . . . Like the *Beatles* they promoted it weeks before.... I havnt heard a great deal on the opening of it ???
Any ideas anyone ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
On this ^^ when are we going to know its open ?? I mean the home page is still on the MBA and there is nothing that stands out to say it will open . . . Like the *Beatles* they promoted it weeks before.... I havnt heard a great deal on the opening of it ???
Any ideas anyone ??
Apple Mac Store sill be coming late on the 6th January

The 6th in the US. The same time will be on the 7th in Australia. The Australian Apple site says the 7th.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saving a picture to the disk drive, extension not used? | what personal finance software? »