New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Constant restarts when trying to restore OSX to factory settings

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jhallett17

jhallett17 is on a distinguished road

So about a week ago my Macbook Pro 13 inch (OSX 10.6.5) (Mid 2010) started making a grinding noise inside. It wasn't the sound of the fan and based on the noise my best guess is the hard drive discs are hitting or rubbing against something.
I decided to restore my mac to factory settings, after backing up to time machine, and followed the instructions after inserting the Snow Leopard install disk. It had an estimated time of just over an hour.
After 20 minutes my mac restarted itself and was on the grey startup screen for about 10 minutes when a different color grey screen came on asking me to restart my mac manually.
That was at 7:30pm. Before I knew it, it was 10:30. Almost every 5 minutes my mac asked me to restart it manually and it never got past the grey start-up screen with the apple logo. I shut it down for the night and started it again this morning and after 5 minutes it asked me to restart again.
Is my hard drive fried?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac G3 800MHz :D | PowerMac G4 | MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz C2D 500GB HDD 4GB 9600M / 9600M GT 10.7.1

When you say you shut it down over-night and started again in the morning, how do you mean start again? Do you mean you started from the beginning boot from the DVD or just turned it on?

- Simon

Rest In Peace Steven Paul Jobs February 24, 1955 - October 5, 2011 [aged 56]
If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system just above the post to the right.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

What you're seeing are "kernel panics". That's a pretty good indication that your hard drive has probably failed. That kind of goes along with the grinding sound you heard. Hopefully, you made a backup prior to doing the reinstall?

In any event, it appears you need a new hard drive. Boot your machine with the install DVD and run a verify and repair. Let's see what it says.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to an external FullHD monitor? | Formatting USB's on Macbook Pro? »